Classical Music Forum banner

Do you like hip-hop and Jazz?

14K views 62 replies 45 participants last post by  FilmMusic 
G
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys!!! Does anyone here enjoy Jazz music as much as well as hip-hop? Jazz could have some good sounds!!! Anyways, I'm listening to a few tracks from the new Soullive album called break out. Has anyone heard it? I got it from my internship at umvd. They mix jazz music with hip-hop beats. I'd just thought to share with you guys. They have a website if you want to hear a few clips. See ya.

[SPAM removed]

#2 ·
That sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I really like jazz! I saw the other thread about how everyone hates jazz but I really respect and enjoy it. And I love dancing so I love hip hop. :-D

#3 ·
One thing I love about being a musician is I can enjoy listening to and appreciating a wide variety, styles and genres of music. I actually enjoy listening to some metal music, I really enjoy the likes of the Beatles, Yes and Pink Floyd. I also enjoy Herbie Hancock, Oscar Peterson, Joe Satriani, Feist, Coldplay, U2, Vienna Teng......the list goes on forever. I really do enjoy all kinds of music!

#4 · (Edited)
Anything that has a chord progression shorter than four chords that repeats over and over again without variation is in lamen's terms "lame". I'm a jazz musician, although I started with blues and rock, I'm not impressed with most rock and other forms of pop music. Jazz is another story of course. In jazz there is much more subtle interplay between the musicians. That's not to say that grooves suck all together. Grooves can be engaging to listen to if there is some complexity or at least virtuoso soloists.

#5 ·
I think jazz is great! I can't abide hip hop or R&B though - It's the bane of the modern world. It's true that learning an instrument widens your appreciation of other music, but for me R&B will always be the devils music.

Reactions: SixFootScowl
G
#8 ·
Hi jank, I see you are a jazz man, I too was in the jazz scene but a while ago and prefer not to count the years, All my jazz favourites are from the 50s, Do you listen to the MJQ ??, jazz chamber music, really swings

#9 ·
I can't really embrace hip hop, because I like jazz. They're practically complete opposites. To like both is like being fond of both country and opera.

Jazz does not put emphasis on the downbeat, and improvisation is essential to jazz. If you don't have the improvisation, it's not jazz. No way, no how. Glenn Miller is not jazz. Jazz is also good for listening, not just dancing along with. And crowds are not supposed to make much noise during jazz concerts, or people can't hear the music. It's not something where everyone in the audience joins in.

And also, I associate jazz with cultural renaissance, whereas hip hop is associated with cultural decay. People come dressed in their Sunday best when they attend a jazz concert, but they dress like drug-dealing punk losers when they attend hip hop concerts. I can have intelligent conversations with jazz fans, but I'm always afraid a hip hop fan will want to beat me up to show who rules the neighborhood. Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but that's the general impression each one gives to me.

#10 ·
I can't really embrace hip hop, because I like jazz. They're practically complete opposites. To like both is like being fond of both country and opera.

Actually, I don't like hip hop/rap and I do like jazz... but I also like both country and opera:eek:. I'm speaking of real country... bluegrass and real country artists like the Louvin Brothers, Bill Monroe, the Stanley Brothers, and Johnny Cash and not that pop with a southern accent crap. Nevertheless... I am well aware that it is an entire universe away from Wagner and Puccini. As a visual artist, however, I have always been inspired by the art of folk artists, outsider artists, the art of children, and art from non-Western cultures that would appear almost untutored by Western art standards (but certainly is not... the standards are merely different). This in no way undermines my admiration for Rubens, Michelangelo, or Vermeer. Perhaps Picasso explained it best when he suggested that an artist creates his art in the same way as a Renaissance prince begat his children: as a merger of the aristocratic and the peasant stock.;)

Reactions: Dr Johnson
#15 ·
I love jazz. HipHop and rap are not my cup of tea, but I think that may have at least in part something to do with my age. It's probably different when you have grown up with it. As it is 'I don't get it.'

#18 ·
Hip-Hop is my second favourite style of music after classical. Most of the mainstream stuff is piffle, but I really like the underground/freestyle stuff. I am a freestyle-er myself at my school, and it's a really great way to be creative while still being considered "cool." I always say that I wanted to be a poet, but nobody in this day and age at an American public school will respect a poet, so that's why I do freestyle.

As for mainstream stuff, I kind of look at it like it gives inspiration to freestyle-ers accross the country, so that can't be a bad thing.

I never liked Jazz, but I do like the blues once in a while.

#19 ·
I love jazz-- about equal to classical to me (by the way I do love country and opera too--haha ;) ). Not so big on instrumental big band '30s/'40's, though even some of that like
Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong & such. I like a lot of avant jazz too which comes close at times to contemporary classical music. I'm not very thrilled with 'acid jazz' or jazz/rock fusion-- though even there I like some of Miles Davis's early '70's stuff, mid '70's Soft Machine and a few others. As for hip-hop/rap-- not my thing though I think like anything it has now wider variety-- but too old to start up with that when there's other genres I'm still interested in much more.

Ed

#21 ·
i like both jazz and hip hop. both of them i had to get into though as they weren't my first pick coz i love my soul music. but besides the great jazz players out there, i'm into esperanza spalding at the moment.

And for hip hop, i cant help but be reminded of my recent trip to the philippines where we had a youth from the restoration village rap to us about the political situation and how it affects him. he had a lot of things to say... i can understand though the non-interest people would have with hip hop, but i just find it amazing that they can spit words out so fast AND on time. heres a mates hip hop music http://www.myspace.com/gmcgmc

#22 ·
Jazz - absolutely! I especially love the early jazz pianists and the vocal jazz of the 30s and 40s. Actually, I enjoy most jazz from that era.

Hip-hop - not so much. There is some rap with intelligent lyrics that I enjoyed in the late 80s/early 90s, such as Arrested Development, De La Soul, NWA, and Public Enemy. But I could never get into either extreme - the fluffy pop stuff like Puff Daddy (or P-Diddy or whatever he's calling himself these days), nor the more extreme gangsta styles, which replaced honest lyrics about poverty, discrimination, and oppression with "bustin' a cap in yo ***."

#23 ·
Depends on the Jazz, I hate that bravura crap that only shows off how fast they can play with a complete lack of memorable material.

I also hate drum solos (though still more melodic than that mentioned above), they completely ignore the only purpose percussion serves on band or equivalent type ensembles.

#26 ·
I recently thought of getting into the blues and jazz but I wouldn't know where to start. I dislike rap/hiphop though. It's too prideful and big-headed of music In my opinion. From what I've heard, It's about being tough and ruling the neighborhood or whatever. Not my kind of thing... That's just me, though.

#27 ·
I had a casual interest in hip hop and rap in my days as a student. Now I will probably say that hip hop is a pretty good genre, but probably much better without the rapping. I have come to accept that I just don't like the haughty machismo of rap and it often comes across as narcissistic, although I can enjoy it from time to time if there is a lot of skill involved.

It goes without saying that I despise NWA or any kind of gangster rap. Public Enemy and KRS-One are better, but I would consider them more alternative.

As for jazz... it is definitely a growing interest for me and probably respresents America's most important art form. It's political underpinnings and the fact that it represented the voice of a long disenfranchised minority only adds to its appeal. Strangely enough, I started with Coltraine and Coleman... I think their influence on the Velvet Underground appealed to me... and then enjoyed Miles Davis after that. I haven't really explored the music of Charlie Parker, Dizzie Gillepsie or Thelonius Monk just yet though.

#28 ·
Jazz yes-- probably more from the 50s and 60s (Mingus, Monk, Miles Davis, Coltrane, early Ornette Coleman, MJQ), though I do like a good deal of Branford Marsalis.

Hip-hop, no.

G
#30 ·
I would suggest that the majority of Opera lovers would not listen to Country and visa verse. for my self I dislike C&W and find it equates to Noddy's book of Songs, I also find that Opera is perhaps the buffoons book of Classical Entertainment IMO of course but I do enjoy it at times, it served its purpose well and retains a sizable following. Oratorio is a much more refined genre, blast I used that word again but there is no other way of explaining it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.