Classical Music Forum banner

The Piano Trio

6K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  dogen 
G
#1 ·
Some absolutely wonderful works in this genre, going right back to Mozart. I'll start off with one of my personal favourites by Brahms, B Major, Op. 8 (a young work) with some very famous musicians. Absolute class!!

#7 ·
It's a form I've never really explored all that much. I think I was put off after listening to an interminable evening with three boring trios in a reverberating hall. It sounded like too much competition between piano and strings and a bit like a cafe "orchestra".

I like Ravel's trio, but I hardly ever listen to it. Obviously Schubert's is the one most folks know - I'm about that level... I'm listening to the Mendelssohn one right now in an effort to catch up.

#12 ·
So much great music in this genre - Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Brahms... Not to forget Haydn and Mozart! I also love the trios of Ravel and Shostakovich very much.

A lot of stuff lies in the unexplored territory for me, though. Arensky's D minor trio is apparently pretty good, but I don't know it at all. Same goes for Tchaikovsky - and even Dvořák, although I've heard a few of his trios once...

There's so much music to explore, it's a bit intimidating sometimes!

G
#16 · (Edited)
Thank you for introducing me to that wonderful first opus by Cesar Franck - a composer who didn't have it easy. The ostinato in that opening reminds me of Beethoven piano sonata No. 15 "Pastoral" - the final movement Rondo - which I'll post here:

Franck was treated contemptuously by Saint-Saens, the lesser composer IMO. The Franck Piano Trio Op. 1 does sound Brahmsian, which is understandable, yet the voice of Franck is still apparent despite the obvious influences.

#25 ·
No problem, but Brahms was barely 9 when Franck published that trio. But you're right he didn't have it easy and if it wasn't for his symphony he would have barely made the history books when music like this proves he deserves much greater recognition.

#17 · (Edited)
I didn't pay much attention to piano trios until I encountered the Beaux Arts Trio. It seems like just about everything they do resonates with me (there is one set that's a clunker, but I don't remember it; is it Brahms?); they took pieces which I thought were boring and made them compelling, at least to my ears.

#21 · (Edited)
I too enjoy the genre of the piano trio. Starting 13 months ago and ending in April of this year I compiled the Talk Classical Piano Trios Recommended List, which you can find here

There were many I got to know, because I was host. I think I listened to all 125 on the list. I have a few favourites and a few discoveries.

Favourites include Ravel, Chausson, Brahms 1, Shostakovich 2, Dvorak 3&4

Discoveries include Rebecca Clarke, Tanayev, Chopin, Smetena, Saint Saens.

And we included other instruments with piano. A few of my favourites are Poulenc Trio for oboe, bassoon and piano, Ligeti Trio for horn, cello and piano, Crumb Vox Balanae for Flute, Cello and piano, Farenc trio for flute, cello and piano.

#22 ·
Here are the top piano trios as voted on the now-defunct Amazon forum:

1 - Brahms: Piano Trio #1 in B major, Op. 8
2 - Shostakovich: Piano Trio #2 in E minor, Op. 67
3 - Beethoven: Piano Trio #7 in B-flat major, Op. 97, "Archduke"
4 - Brahms :Horn Trio, Op. 40 in E-flat major
5 - Beethoven: Piano Trio #5, Op. 70/1 in D major "Ghost"
6 - Mendelssohn: Piano Trio #1, Op. 49 in D minor
7 - Tchaikovsky: Piano Trio Op. 50 in A minor "In Memory of a Great Artist"
8 - Schubert: Piano Trio #2, Op. 100 in E-flat major
9 - Schubert: Piano Trio #1, Op. 99 in B-flat major
10 - Brahms: Piano Trio #2, Op. 87 in C major

#29 ·
I love the Genre. Imo here the instruments are the most balanced and blend together in the Best way possible for a chamber ensemble.
Absolute favourites are Saint-Saëns 1 & 2, Francks 1, Mendelssohns 2 and Arenskys 1. Except the Franck all of the above stated are rather melodious and glimmering with Joy and beautiful colours. Try them!

#37 ·
i was listening to haydn piano trios 12-14 recently. 14 in a flat major is real pretty and then about halfway through changes keys to g major and has some interesting rhythmic arpegios on the piano, and the violin and cello hold it together with periodic stacatto harmony. changes keys alot too. fun to listen to, and sounds fun to play.

#38 · (Edited)
The Schubert piano trios are among his greatest works. I like the reconstructed Debussy piano trio. The Charles Wakefield Cadman trio is a little-known gem (which has a similar feeling to the Debussy trio), and it comes on a naxos CD paired with an equally good piano quintet.
I've always liked the recordings of the Beaux Arts Trio as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.