Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Games!

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Krummhorn 
#1 · (Edited)
Administrators, is it possible to delegate these incessant games to a separate sub-forum like the interminable and inevitable polls? I can hear the immortal composers rolling over in their graves as their works are voted on like football or baseball cards to be dismissed and discarded. There are so many games at one time that they’re hard to avoid and there are not enough track shoes in the world to outrun them. Surely there must be another way of bringing such great composers and works to the attention of the public without these interminable games. Half the time even the scores are added up inaccurately. I apologize to anyone who might be offended by these frank remarks. A sub-forum for games would at least benefit those who would rather avoid seeing them and would instead rather discuss these composers than vote on them like expendable cantaloupes, apples and oranges. Thanks for your consideration of this sincere request. Perhaps there are others who feel likewise, not to abandon the games that some genuinely enjoy but merely to have them collected in a separate section.

#6 ·
Administrators, is it possible to delegate these incessant games to a separate sub-forum like the interminable and inevitable polls? I can hear the immortal composers rolling over in their graves as their works are voted on like football or baseball cards to be dismissed and discarded. There are so many games at one time that they're hard to avoid and there are not enough track shoes in the world to outrun them. Surely there must be another way of bringing such great composers and works to the attention of the public without these interminable games. Half the time even the scores are added up inaccurately. I apologize to anyone who might be offended by these frank remarks. A sub-forum for games would at least benefit those who would rather avoid seeing them and would instead rather discuss these composers than vote on them like expendable cantaloupes, apples and oranges. Thanks for your consideration of this sincere request. Perhaps there are others who feel likewise, not to abandon the games that some genuinely enjoy but merely to have them collected in a separate section.
I agree with Larkenfield. Most of these polls are essentially meaningless. The results depend on who is in your universe.

For example there was a poll here about a composer (I really do not need to mention which thread it is because it is meaningless to the point Larkenfield and I are trying to make).

I started an exact poll in another forum. So far the results are completely opposite to each other. I really think that a discussion about the pros and cons of each forum is a separate issue, that I really want to avoid. The point is each population is different and will produce different results.

#10 ·
First of all I am not interested in most of these games like is whatever a great composer.

I already do not participate in the majority of them.

There is a problem when a poll or game perpetuates an inaccurate observation concerning the state of classical music.

And one can not win around here. If a person decides to leave because he is not interested in the types of threads that appear in Talk Classical members jump on him.

I recently got involved with one because it and area that is near and dear to me: classical concert band music. In spite of my best efforts it still ended up being a complete waste of time.

If you guys want to spend the rest of your lives playing games on who the greatest whatever is, what can I say? I know that there are some who can benefit from these games. There are also many of us who are not interested in them.

I will let you guys have the last word because after all of these years I do not know what else to say. My initial post was to agree with Larkenfield since I have known him for many years.

#12 ·
Yeah... this is currently what the third page of my new posts looks like...

Honestly a slog having to scroll pas them.

Product Azure Font Screenshot Communication Device

I understand that it's technically not possible to prevent these from coming up in the "new posts" link. On another forum to cut down on this sort of thing they are limited to one game at a time. Once that game concludes another thread can be started with a new game. A master thread is kept for the queue of ones to follow and people can add to it, with group consensus when asked to be moved up the queue (generally cordial about this as it's a regular group taking part in these), etc

#13 ·
Members have the ability to "sort" to a degree how things appear on their pages:

Can I change the order of posts?
You have a choice over how you view threads. When you're in a thread, look at the top bar. On the right hand side you'll see 'Display Mode'. Click on this and it lets you change how posts are ordered.
You have three choices:
Linear Mode - posts are displayed chronologically, usually from oldest to newest. Posts are shown in a flat mode so that many posts can be viewed simultaneously. It is possible to change the ordering by changing your preferences in the User CP
Threaded Mode - a tree is shown along with every post. This shows you the relationship each post has to the others. It's easy to see who responded to whom. Only one post is shown at a time. By clicking on a single post in the post tree, the page will show that post and all posts made in response to it.
Hybrid Mode - This is a mixture of the linear and threaded modes. The post tree is displayed as in the threaded mode, but many posts are shown at the same time as in the linear modes.

#15 · (Edited)
Members have the ability to "sort" to a degree how things appear on their pages:

Can I change the order of posts?
You have a choice over how you view threads. When you're in a thread, look at the top bar. On the right hand side you'll see 'Display Mode'. Click on this and it lets you change how posts are ordered.
Is this an admin-only feature? I don't see it.

Light Slope Wood Font Line

By the way, in another thread Taggart posted a nifty work around for those who do not want to see polls/games in latest posts. It should be possible to find it (I'll search a bit).

EDIT: here is Taggart's post.

#17 ·
Thread display options for me is only two alternatives:
Linear - oldest first
Linear - newest first

Not what you said before:

"You have three choices:
Linear Mode - posts are displayed chronologically, usually from oldest to newest. Posts are shown in a flat mode so that many posts can be viewed simultaneously. It is possible to change the ordering by changing your preferences in the User CP
Threaded Mode - a tree is shown along with every post. This shows you the relationship each post has to the others. It's easy to see who responded to whom. Only one post is shown at a time. By clicking on a single post in the post tree, the page will show that post and all posts made in response to it.
Hybrid Mode - This is a mixture of the linear and threaded modes. The post tree is displayed as in the threaded mode, but many posts are shown at the same time as in the linear modes."

If it makes a difference, I'm using Chrome.

Not important, just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.