Classical Music Forum banner

Neo-Baroque Music

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Mandryka 
#1 ·
There was a wave throughout the 20th century of compositions based on old Baroque frameworks, either by taking the form of a Baroque suite, by utilizing rhythms or textures from Baroque music, using Baroque instruments like the harpsichord, or otherwise. I find much of this music fascinating, and I want to hear more of it.

Some neo-baroque works that come to mind include:

Dmitri Shostakovich: 24 Preludes and Fugues op.87
Arnold Schoenberg: Suite for piano, op.25
Peter Warlock: Capriol Suite
Maurice Ravel: Le Tombeau de Couperin
Heitor Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
Paul Hindemith: Ludus Tonalis

What else is out there?

#9 ·
Michael Finnissy's ricercari for cello and piano

From the notes, the pieces are conceived as a series of discussions between an antique cello and a modern piano, the topics for the discussions being (I) general allusions to Bach's unaccompanied cello sarabandes and gigues, and the études of Jean Louis Duport (II) Giuseppe Cenci's lament Dunque Clorinde (III) Domenico Gabrieli's 5th ricercar . . . I'll post the rest if anyone's interested.

#15 ·
Heitor Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras
I, love those fugal movements from the Bachianas Brasilieras. Just perfection. Even though the "Bach" is in the name and the goal is to blend Baroque style with Brazillian, I'm not sure I get the Baroque connection in the other movements, even though they're labeled "Tocatta" and "Giga" and so forth. Doesn't really matter though, they're still amazing.

#18 ·
Michael Nyman is a baroque musicologist and some of his compsitions are based on melodies or harmonic progressions of baroque music: Purcell in Chasing Sheep is Best Left to Shepherds, Croft in An Eye for Optical Theory, Couperin in Come unto these yellow sands, and so on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.