Classical Music Forum banner

Favourite CDs

6K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  myaskovsky2002 
#1 ·
I love Gil Shaham's Devil's Dance, and Heifetz' Showpieces and a lot of Perlman CDs. Are there any others as good as these?

#3 ·
Heh...I have listened to Lara St. John's Re:Bach over and over and over again...and never tire of it...

...she sounds a little different...and I don't nec. like everything they put into the arrangements...but it's so upbeat!...

#6 ·
Originally posted by becky@Jul 23 2004, 06:07 PM
There are just too many for me to decide. Also I would change my mind weekly. I listen to Mozart and Baroque music most... the performers don't matter much to me.
[snapback]301[/snapback]​
Me too! I have different favorites at different times--really though, I suppose they're all favorites, but I like to go back and forth. I like Mozart and baroque best, too. Also Holberg Suite (but not most of Grieg's other works), and Haydn. I think Handel and Mozart are my favorite composers.

#10 ·
Today I purchased:

Wieniawski and Sarasate - James Ehnes (and Eduard Laurel - piano, CBC)
Rolla and Vivaldi - Viola concertos - (Phillips Classics)
Shostakovich - Viola Sonata (cello sonata arr. for viola) with Annette Bartholdy (and Julius Drake - piano, Naxos)

...I haven't listened to them yet...I'll post an update when I do...:D

#12 ·
Picked up a copy of Menuhin playing Mozart and Beethoven violin Sonatas...beautiful! I especially am entralled by the two Mozart Sonatas (K. 376 in F major and K. 526 in A major)...

...I'm assuming they're very difficult to play...am I right? Anyone know?...

#15 ·
How to put it... Rolla is to the viola what Viotti is to the violin. A virtuoso with good but not great compositional talents. I've only listened to his concerto once a very long time ago... that was my opinion then, I may feel differently now. My opinions change very quickly; I like things one month and hate them the next, then perhaps love them again later.

#16 ·
I´v Rolla's viola concerto on a LP with Joseph Schobert viola concerto, by a fine hungarian violist named Vidor Nagy. Both are nice pieces, very melodic and with no pretentions. But Rolla had very fine duos for violin and viola. Have 2 of them by two monsters: Accardo and Luigi Bianchi. Bianchi is a fantastic violinist and violist!

#18 · (Edited)
Karel Ančerl conducting Stravinsky's Œdipus Rex & Symphony of Psalms

Michael Tilson Thomas conducting Copland's Appalachian Spring, Rodeo & Billy the Kid

Frith & Hill playing the Stravinsky Concerto per due pianoforti

Stravinsky's Mavra !!!

#20 ·
karlhenning said:
Karel Ančerl conducting Stravinsky's Œdipus Rex & Symphony of Psalms

I'm shocked, shocked you would mention this one!

My favorites, well, you know I can't even think of them all, but some I must surely include:

- Maurizio Pollini plays 20th Century sonatas on DG Originals.

- Beethoven's last five piano sonatas played by, um, Maurizio Pollini

- LvB's Emperor played by Pollini with Karl Bohm conducting

- Daniel Barenboim's recent Schumann Symphonies set

- Claudio Abbado's Wozzeck

- Claudio Abbado's Boris Godunov (Sony)

- Pierre Boulez's Lulu

- Leif Ove Andsnes' Grieg Piano Concerto

- Colin Davis' 1969 Les Troyens

Well, that's good enough for a start.

#25 ·
A weid group

This is the kind of group with deaf people....

You can publish your favourite CD and nobody will read it. YOU will speak about your favourite CD without reading other people. I won't take a second speaking about my favorite CD! You won't read it!

I love Madonna or Celine Dion or...White snow....LOL

Martin Pitchon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.