Classical Music Forum banner

Mozart's Requiem

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  fox_druid 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have loved classical music from a child, but only now have I really began to take it seriously.
I would love to know if there are any other pieces out there that are as dark, powerful, and moving as Mozarts requiem in D minor.

Thank you so much.
Ty

#2 ·
Definitely: Mozart's Mass in C minor, Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, Verdi's Requiem, Berlioz's Requiem, and Brahms's German Requiem should satisfy.

If you're looking for "dark, powerful, and moving" non-choral works, then I would be happy to provide you an even larger list of what I think qualifies.

So do you prefer orchestral, piano, chamber, or choral works?

#8 ·
A dark and powerful masterpiece for me would be Mozart Piano Concerto 20 in D - 1st movement. Like dark chocolate! Also Shozzy's 5th the 3rd movement!

#13 ·
For choral works, try Bach's St. Matthew Passion, the Mahler 2nd, or, is you like Opera, most of Wagner's work (especially the Ring cycle).

For non-choral, instrumental works, Shostakovich's symphonies, Berlioz' "Symphonie Fantastique", or Rochberg's "Transcendental Variations".

Finally, for keyboard works, Shostakovich's Preludes and Fugues and Bach's organ works tend to be fairly haunting and powerful, or, for a lesser-known option, Rzewski's "Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues".

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.