Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,310 Posts
Both pieces (#2 more extensively) were also discussed in the weekly string quartet thread:

· Registered
3,310 Posts
The 1980s Talich (I have the issue with Kvapil's "on an overgrown path" as filler) is among the more "lyrical" performances. They don't stress the "eerie"/scratchy sounds as some other ensembles do. I also have two of each with the Smetana quartet (I think they did at least 3 of each, some live?), Skampa, and for #2 only: Janacek/DG Artemis, Pavel Haas.

· Registered
3,310 Posts
I may be wrong but there might be FIVE sets by the Smetana Quartet, from 1955, 1979, and live from 1985 (Supraphon), and a 1976 set on Denon. But there's also a Czech Radio recording without dates, and they don't seem to fit any of the others timing-wise.....
I believe 1965 is the oldest (probably a typo). Or yet another one? Are there really distinct ones from 1976 and 79? Because Denon and Supraphon were usually collaborations that eventually appeared on both labels. I have the 1960s (on Testament and Diapason, orig. EMI Electrola), then a Supraphon disc with #1 from 1976 and #2 live 1985. And another #1 on BBC music (live 1975, with Dvorak).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts