Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 53rd in a series of games based on a common theme. It could be genre, instrumentation, key signature, time period, style, country, groupings such as Scriabin's Piano Sonatas, etc.

Here's how it works:

1. First voter selects the common theme and a work that fits reasonably into the theme.
2. Second voter also selects a work that fits into the common theme.
3. We keep submitting works until we have collected 20 of them.
4. The game begins.

Selection Rules:

1. You may vote once daily.

2. When you vote, you will have one selection to make.

3. Selections end when we have collected 20 entries.

4. The maximum number of selections per composer is two.

The next voter will pick the common theme and first selection of the twenty.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
3,105 Posts
This is much harder than I thought. Can't think of any names that aren't excessively obscure.
Agreed... This is the page that I've been attempting to work off -

The first trick is trying to find a composer who lived during the appropriate time frame.

The next trick is trying to distinguish the Germans from the Austrians - Good luck with that one - as each name needs a Wikipedia search for nationality - At some point, the names start blending into one another and if you have too many pages open, you're at risk of mistaking Austrians for Germans....Repeatedly... Don't ask me how I know this...

Out of the 10 German composers that I was able to find, not one of them had written a symphony during the time period requested by the OP. Ten years before or Ten Years After (insert completely gratuitous Alvin Lee reference here) - No problem...

Symphonies composed by Germans between the years 1890 to 1910 - Problem... At least for me.

If the list is of benefit to anyone - great - knock yourself out - but I have to take a pass on this one - Best of luck to all and kudos to those of you who were able to provide a correct response.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Agreed... This is the page that I've been attempting to work off -

The first trick is trying to find a composer who lived during the appropriate time frame.

The next trick is trying to distinguish the Germans from the Austrians - Good luck with that one - as each name needs a Wikipedia search for nationality - At some point, the names start blending into one another and if you have too many pages open, you're at risk of mistaking Austrians for Germans....Repeatedly... Don't ask me how I know this...

Out of the 10 German composers that I was able to find, not one of them had written a symphony during the time period requested by the OP. Ten years before or Ten Years After (insert completely gratuitous Alvin Lee reference here) - No problem...

Symphonies composed by Germans between the years 1890 to 1910 - Problem... At least for me.

If the list is of benefit to anyone - great - knock yourself out - but I have to take a pass on this one - Best of luck to all and kudos to those of you who were able to provide a correct response.
Yeah, I've been using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_symphony_composers
No problem to come up with a dozen German symphonies from 1890-1910 using the Wikipedia entries, but good luck finding anything that's been recorded.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts