Classical Music Forum banner
201 - 208 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm not sure if she's been mentioned yet, but there is Elisabetta Brusa. Italian-born British composer. I recently listened to her Symphony no.2, and found it a marvelous and very worthy addition to the canon of 21st-century symphonies. It's on Naxos (Brusa: Orchestral Works Vol.4 I think is the album) if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Today is the birthday of Israel born composer Chaya Czernowin (b.1957). She's a talented composer and I wanted to bring to the attention of the forum one of her most recent large-scale ensemble works, The Fabrication of Light (2020). This is a sprawling work consisting of 4 sections that composer titled as Spirals I-IV.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Today is the birthday of Israel born composer Chaya Czernowin (b.1957). She's a talented composer and I wanted to bring to the attention of the forum one of her most recent large-scale ensemble works, The Fabrication of Light (2020). This is a sprawling work consisting of 4 sections that composer titled as Spirals I-IV.

Thanks for posting this! Great performance.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Here's a young composer from Latvia, Platons Buravickis and his Concerto for Saxophone and Orchestra titled Plastmasas temperatūra which translates to Temperature of Plastics. It was composed in 2019 and is featured on a new album of orchestral commissions that was recently released on the Latvian label, SKANI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,

For the past year or so, I've been on and off working on compiling a large, but hopefully comprehensive, list of contemporary classical music. In fact, I'm still working on it, but I thought I would share my current progress in case anyone is interested.

What is this list exactly? Well, in the most precise terms, it is simply an aggregation of works of the most-acclaimed contemporary composers that both critics and casual listeners seem to recommend. I did this through plenty of research across various forums, books, articles and reviews (including a drop of my own preferences). As I disclaim in the link, this list is obviously not scientific nor perfect by any means, but I hope it provides a good overview of contemporary classical music especially for novices.

To breakdown its sheer vastness, I created a couple tiers to distinguish the most-recommended works:

⋆⋆⋆ means an essential work, among the most esteemed of the contemporary era
⋆⋆ means a fairly important work, good to know especially if you're interested in that particular composer

Of the composers listed, am I missing any of their important works or your favorites? Do you disagree strongly with any of the star ratings (or lack thereof)? Or generally, if anyone has any questions or feedback, I'd be happy to hear!

Edit: I should have made it more clear that there are tons of absent composers that I just haven't had time to include yet. Each composer entry takes many hours to complete thoroughly so I appreciate all of your patience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for checking it out, Lisztian!

I forgot to mention that I've been tackling this project by going through one composer at a time in a quasi-alphabetical order. (I did the Schnittke and Takemitsu entries early on before becoming a bit more methodical.) Xenakis and Stockhausen are definitely in the pipeline!

Here's a (non-exhaustive) list of all other composers I definitely intend to do at some point:

Nono, Luigi
Nørgård, Per
Nyman, Michael
Pärt, Arvo
Partch, Harry
Penderecki, Krzysztof
Rautavaara, Einojuhani
Reich, Steve
Rihm, Wolfgang
Riley, Terry
Romitelli, Fausto
Rzewski, Frederic
Saariaho, Kaija
Scelsi, Giacinto
Sciarrino, Salvatore
Sculthorpe, Peter
Sessions, Roger
Silvestrov, Valentin
Stockhausen, Karlheinz
Tavener, John
Ustvolskaya, Galina
Vasks, Pēteris
Wuorinen, Charles
Xenakis, Iannis
Young, La Monte

Once I hit all of the big names, I'll probably start adding some more lesser-knowns.
David Diamond
Henry Cowell
Peter Mennin
William Schuman
Howard Hanson
Norman Dello Joio
George Antheil
George Walker

201 - 208 of 208 Posts