Classical Music Forum banner
721 - 740 of 914 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
this is the first I've ever heard of Franck. I really like his Level 3 stuff (Sonata FW 8, Symphony in D). The Symphony recording by Muti/Philadelphia even came with a bonus track: Le Chasseur maudit and even that one is up my alley.

Strong week all around!

Hopefully I'll have some extra time to peruse the Level 4 works too.

·
Registered
544 Posts
this is the first I've ever heard of Franck. I really like his Level 3 stuff (Sonata FW 8, Symphony in D). The Symphony recording by Muti/Philadelphia even came with a bonus track: Le Chasseur maudit and even that one is up my alley.

Strong week all around!

Hopefully I'll have some extra time to peruse the Level 4 works too.
You should try his violin sonata and I would recommend Walter’s iconic recording of his symphony

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Career in hauntology maybe.

Gesture Publication Font Suit Book cover

I should say I've always had a problem with Bruckner 6. I don't know why, other people seem to like it. I went to that Haitink recording because someone said to me how good it was but, no, not for me!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Smetana is an outstanding composer with his masterful, melodic "Ma Vlast" which even bewitched Karajan who gave us a superb version. His two string quartets are very finely crafted works.
I'm listening to Smetana's String Quartet no 1 "From My Life" now. It's beautiful! And I've read a little bit about its autobiographical background. Astounding!

·
Registered
126 Posts
What do the levels mean ? Panis angelicus by Franck was level 6. But it is a popular piece easy to like.
the first few pages have scattered descriptions of the structure. But the clearest rubric is post #42. Hopefully this link works:

Basically it’s like metacritic or rotten tomatoes. Curated “top critic” recommendations, filtered through the favorite works/composers of top members of this forum.

That’s my understanding of this exercise

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #731 ·
What do the levels mean ?...
Much as nbs says, I reviewed a range of sources for recommendations of what to listen to. These ranged from classical radio stations, books by respected authors, publications and websites. In all there were 36 sources for these recommendations.

The levels (I really wanted to use the word, "Tier" but that was already used elsewhere)
  • Level 1 - works which received 22 or more recommendations
  • Level 2 - 16-21 recommendations
  • Level 3 - 11-15 recommendations
  • Level 4 - 7-10 recommendations
  • Level 5 - 4-6 recommendations
  • Level 6 - 2-3 recommendations only showing those works that also appear on the TC Most Recommended list
  • Level 7 - 1 recommendation only showing those works that also appear on the TC Most Recommended list
  • Honourable mentions - composers with recommended works in Levels 6 & 7 that do not appear on the TC Most Recommended list

·
Registered
126 Posts
To clarify: From levels 1-5, the TC Most Recommended List has no bearing on these rankings? It's only at levels 6, 7, and hon. mention that works can be salvaged by TalkClassical?

Or is it the case that every work listed in your rankings must at some point have been most recommended on this forum?

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #733 · (Edited)
Here's Brahms. An editorial decision was necessary whether to spread his works over a couple of weeks, interspersed with other composers, or to give him a week to himself. I think Brahms' music is diverse enough to carry it off. We'll see.

Level 1
Brahms, Johannes: Ein Deutsches Requiem

Brahms, Johannes: Symphony No. 4

Level 2
Brahms, Johannes: Piano Concerto No. 2

Brahms, Johannes: Symphony No. 1

Level 3
Brahms, Johannes: Clarinet Quintet

Brahms, Johannes: Violin Concerto

Brahms, Johannes: Piano Concerto No. 1

Brahms, Johannes: Piano Quintet Op. 34

Brahms, Johannes: Symphony No. 2

Brahms, Johannes: Symphony No. 3

Brahms, Johannes: Klavierstücke op. 118 (6 pieces)
Brahms, Johannes: Piano Trio No. 1 Op. 8

Brahms, Johannes: Klavierstücke op. 117 (3 intermezzi) esp. No. 2
Brahms, Johannes: Klavierstücke op. 119 (4 pieces)

Level 4
Brahms, Johannes: Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 1 "Rain" esp. I. Vivace, Ma Non Troppo
Brahms, Johannes: Klavierstücke Op. 116
Brahms, Johannes: Hungarian Dances
Brahms, Johannes: Piano Quartet No. 1
Brahms, Johannes: Cello Sonata No. 1 Op. 38 esp. I. Allegro non troppo
Brahms, Johannes: "Double" Concerto in A Minor for Violin and Cello
Brahms, Johannes: Variations On A Theme By Haydn
Brahms, Johannes: Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 3
Brahms, Johannes: Vier Ernste Gesänge (Four Serious Songs)
Brahms, Johannes: Piano Quartet No. 3 "Werther"
Brahms, Johannes: Clarinet Trio
Brahms, Johannes: Violin Sonata No. 2 Op. 100
Brahms, Johannes: String Sextet No. 2
Brahms, Johannes: Piano Quartet No. 2
Brahms, Johannes: Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel
Brahms, Johannes: Academic Festival Overture
Brahms, Johannes: String Quartet No. 3 Op.67
Brahms, Johannes: String Quartet Op. 51 No. 1
Brahms, Johannes: Tragic Overture
Brahms, Johannes: String Quartet Op. 51 No. 2

Level 5
Brahms, Johannes: Piano Sonata No. 3
Brahms, Johannes: Sonata for Clarinet & Piano No. 1 & 2
Brahms, Johannes: Cello Sonata No. 2
Brahms, Johannes: String Sextet No 1 Op 18
Brahms, Johannes: Alto Rhapsody
Brahms, Johannes: Serenade No. 2
Brahms, Johannes: Horn Trio
Brahms, Johannes: Serenade No. 1
Brahms, Johannes: Variations on a Theme by Paganini
Brahms, Johannes: 18 Liebeslieder-Walzer

Level 6
Brahms, Johannes: String Quintet No. 1 Op. 88
Brahms, Johannes: String Quintet No. 2 Op. 111
Brahms, Johannes: 2 Rhapsodies Op. 79
Brahms, Johannes: Schicksalslied
Brahms, Johannes: Wiegenlied "Lullaby" Op. 49 No. 4
Brahms, Johannes: Two Songs for Voice, Viola and Piano Op. 91
Brahms, Johannes: Nänie
Brahms, Johannes: Gesang der Parzen
Brahms, Johannes: Ziguenerlieder
Brahms, Johannes: Romances from Tieck's Liebesgeschichte Die Schöne Magelone Op. 33

Level 7
Brahms, Johannes: Piano Trio No. 2
Brahms, Johannes: Balades Op. 10
Brahms, Johannes: Eight Piano Pieces Op. 76
Brahms, Johannes: Songs (5), op. 105 esp. "Wie Melodien zieht es mir" and "Immer leiser wird mein Schlummer"
Brahms, Johannes: Chorale Preludes Op. 122
Brahms, Johannes: Scherzo in E-flat Minor
Brahms, Johannes: Begräbnisgesang
Brahms, Johannes: Variations on a Theme by Robert Schumann Op.9

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #734 ·
To clarify: From levels 1-5, the TC Most Recommended List has no bearing on these rankings? It's only at levels 6, 7, and hon. mention that works can be salvaged by TalkClassical?...
Correct. Levels 1-5 are not influenced by this forum's listings except that one of the 36 sources of recommendations was the "Compilation of TC Top-recommended lists". Back around Easter, I set an extra threshold for those works with less than four recommendations in that they must also appear in Science's listing. It's just to ensure we have a manageable list.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Oh. Well, then.

Now that he's dead his music is much better?
my note to mandryka was a kind of request for clarification as his post was a bit sibylline. that being said the death of a conductor is a good opportunity to take stock of his achievements and reassess him/her. i have indicated that Haitink's version of Bruckner's 9th symphony is great.that does not imply that he is one of the best conductor of all times. but some of his performances were top-notch especially with the RCO which for your guidance is one of the best orchestras ever.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
my note to mandryka was a kind of request for clarification as his post was a bit sibylline. that being said the death of a conductor is a good opportunity to take stock of his achievements and reassess him/her. i have indicated that Haitink's version of Bruckner's 9th symphony is great.that does not imply that he is one of the best conductor of all times. but some of his performances were top-notch especially with the RCO which for your guidance is one of the best orchestras ever.
I know a couple of people who would say that the Haitink Dresden Bruckner 6 is one of his greatest achievements and one of the very top performances on record. It's just me, I've never managed to get into a positive relation with this symphony. Even in my days of listening to lots of Bruckner (a long time ago!), I never got on well with this particular symphony.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
JOHANNES BRAHMS: CLAUDIO ABBADO - EIN DEUTSCHES REQUIEM OP. 45 - YouTube

This is my favourite requiem. Somehow the video of the performance helps. It's a shame the whole thing isn't on youtube.

I first saw Terfel sing Jochanaan, and he looked very much like he does here. It was a great night at the opera.

Here's a performance of the requiem with two pieces by Wolfgang Rihm interspersed -- I think to good effect

Brahms "Ein Deutsches Requiem" I Christoph Schäfer - YouTube

Rihm says that the analogy is this: he wants his music in the context of the Brahms requiem to be like hanging four large Aselm Kiefer paintings in a Gothic burial chapel -- unfortunately there are only two of them in that youtube

Rectangle Art Tints and shades Symmetry Painting

721 - 740 of 914 Posts