Classical Music Forum banner
761 - 780 of 969 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #761 ·
I would be down to catch some Matthew Bourne! Funny I was just hanging with an ex ballerina and it was fun to pick her brain about Bourne and ballet in general. (It’s funny to note that when I asked her what her fave ballet was she knew the piece and the choreographer but not the composer — certainly a different focus than music fans).

Just now leaving an interesting green screen-ed live VFX-video staging of Act 3 of Die Walkure at the Hollywood Bowl. All set in a post-destoryed world where everything has been uploaded into a Tron-like sci fi world. The valkyries rode tron bikes. The performers were in costumes, but slightly were metal rather than traditional, and singing and acting in front of a giant green screen. And with video they could do impossible things like make Wotan gigantic or have them flying in those sci-fi bikes through impossible Tron-like skies. Otherwise, the music was straight from the opera. Pretty fun for an outdoor evening, post-picnic, where everything is amplified anyway. And it beats a non-acted concert. At least my non-opera friends could somewhat follow the story. I wouldn't do it for a full opera, and certainly not a full cycle. But great for an excerpt. I just wish the audio folks turned up the speakers to 11 so I could get fully swallowed into that music.

One day I hope to see a proper Ring in an opera house. Til then, this'll do!
Sounds exciting.

Bizet for me today:

Bizet: Symphony in C
François Leleux, Scottish Chamber Orchestra

Bizet: L'Arlesienne Suite
Marc Minkowski, Les Musiciens du Louvre

Bizet: Jeux d'Enfants
Ernest Ansermet, L'Orchestre De La Suisse Romande

·
Registered
131 Posts
I found this record of Lakme highlights with Natalie Dessay that I've just finished listening. The music/vocals are a little monotonous throughout this set -- not a wide range of dramatic range, maybe; all of it is of a piece. Still, I'm impressed with how beautiful all the music is. Delibes and Bizet have this gift for pretty French music! I've not yet seen a French opera, but I'm now more intrigued than ever

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm enthralled by Sabine and Marianne's Flower Duet. It seems that François Xavier Roth and Les Siecles can do no wrong for me at the moment. Everything they touch strikes a good note with me:

indeed, that is the best flower duet i have in my library. Warner Music's youtube channel also has a fantastic video (14M views!) of a recording session.

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #767 ·
The hottest day on record forecast for the UK. I'm 'holed-up' in an AirBnB just outside a picturesque little village in the Weald of Kent having moved out from our apartment last Friday. No AC so all the windows are open, blinds drawn and a fan at the ready for the heat of the afternoon. I've got Camille to help see me through.

Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 "Organ"
Christoph Eschenbach, The Philadelphia Orchestra, Olivier Latry

Saint-Saëns: Carnival of the Animals
Neeme Järvi, Louis Lortie, Helene Mercier, Bergen Filharmoniske Orkester

Saint-Saëns: Cello Concerto No. 1
Neeme Järvi, Bergen Filharmoniske Orkester, Truls Mørk

Saint-Saëns: Piano Concerto No. 2
Sakari Oramo, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, Stephen Hough

Saint-Saëns: Piano Concerto No. 4

Saint-Saëns: Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso
Renaud Capuçon, Die Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen, Daniel Harding

Saint-Saëns: Clarinet Sonata
Martin Fröst, Roland Pöntinen

Saint-Saëns: Violin Concerto No. 3
Jean Jacques Kantorow, Kees Bakels & Tapiola Sinfonietta

Saint-Saëns: Violin Sonata No. 1
Bertrand Chamayou & Renaud Capuçon

Saint-Saëns: Samson et Dalila (Excerpts)
Myung-Whun Chung, Plácido Domingo, Choeur de l'Opéra Bastille, Waltraud Meier, Alain Fondary, Orchestre De L'Opera Bastille, Christian Papis, Daniel Galvez-Vallejo, François Harismendy

·
Banned
839 Posts
The hottest day on record forecast for the UK. I'm 'holed-up' in an AirBnB just outside a picturesque little village in the Weald of Kent having moved out from our apartment last Friday. No AC so all the windows are open, blinds drawn and a fan at the ready for the heat of the afternoon. I've got Camille to help see me through.

Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 "Organ"
Christoph Eschenbach, The Philadelphia Orchestra, Olivier Latry

Saint-Saëns: Carnival of the Animals
Neeme Järvi, Louis Lortie, Helene Mercier, Bergen Filharmoniske Orkester

Saint-Saëns: Cello Concerto No. 1
Neeme Järvi, Bergen Filharmoniske Orkester, Truls Mørk

Saint-Saëns: Piano Concerto No. 2

Saint-Saëns: Piano Concerto No. 4

Saint-Saëns: Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso
Renaud Capuçon, Die Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen, Daniel Harding

Saint-Saëns: Clarinet Sonata
Martin Fröst, Roland Pöntinen

Saint-Saëns: Violin Concerto No. 3
Jean Jacques Kantorow, Kees Bakels & Tapiola Sinfonietta

Saint-Saëns: Violin Sonata No. 1
Bertrand Chamayou & Renaud Capuçon

Saint-Saëns: Samson et Dalila (Excerpts)
Myung-Whun Chung, Plácido Domingo, Choeur de l'Opéra Bastille, Waltraud Meier, Alain Fondary, Orchestre De L'Opera Bastille, Christian Papis, Daniel Galvez-Vallejo, François Harismendy
chillham you are even smarter than i thought; you have got some of the best french performers lined up for S-Saens whose music is not work of genius but so pleasant to the ear; the third symphony with latry is the best in my collection, it is quite a symphony; the first cello concerto in the hands of mork is to die for (the other day i was listening to it on the radio and could not immediately identify it as it has some dvorak and spanish accents, but it is just exhilarating); i would have preferred kantorow in the piano concertos or chamayou but no complaints with hough who is as reliable as ever; the second and the fifth are really special; capuçon delivers some all time favourites on the violin; great cast for the opera, which has a few famous arias but is probably not one of S-Saens best efforts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Now at first glance I thought Camille was a girlfriend... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #771 ·
Heading back East today.

Borodin: Symphony No. 1 & 2
Loris Tjeknavorian, National Philharmonic Orchestra

Mussorgsky: Songs and Dances of Death
Dmitri Hvorostovsky & Ivari Ilja

Rimsky-Korsakov: Blue Ocean Sea, Song of the Varangian Guest, Song of the Indian Guest, Song of the Venetian Guest, Volkhova's Lullaby from Sadko
Nikolai Golovanov, Orchestra of the Bolshoi Theatre, Georgy Nelepp

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #772 · (Edited)
Coming at you a day-and-a-half early as it’s Mrs. Chilham and my Ruby wedding anniversary this weekend and we’re off for a long-weekend of spa treatments, fine dining and good red wine to celebrate.

This week, we’re calling @haziz to the “Chilham's Journey” courtesy telephone. It’s a week of composers born 1840-1843 excluding Dvořák (he’ll be with us next week). That means it’s Tchaikovsky week!

Not many composers get four Level 1 works - Beethoven 6, Mozart 5 and JS Bach 4 - and whilst I suspect some will stick their thumbs in their braces and look down their nose, for me it demonstrates the class of the composer. I adore his Violin Concerto, am addicted to Symphonies 1 & 4, and the 1812 was my first experience of classical music. I’ve still to completely connect with “Pathetique”, although Currentzis and MusicAeterna are helping me with that, so this week is another opportunity try to get closer to it.

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6
Teodor Currentzis, MusicAeterna

Anyway, here we go, a week of Tchaikovsky, Grieg, Chabrier et al. Enjoy!

Level 1
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique"
Grieg, Edvard: Piano Concerto in A minor
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: The Nutcracker Suite esp. Dance of the Reed Flutes, Russian Dane, Dance of the Mirlitons, Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy, Pas de Deux, Overture, Waltz of the Flowers, Chinese Dance
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Swan Lake esp. Dances of the Swans
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Piano Concerto No. 1 esp. I Allegro non troppo e molto maestos

Level 2
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Romeo and Juliet esp. Fantasy Overture
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Festival Overture in E-flat major "1812 Overture"
Grieg, Edvard: Peer Gynt esp. In the Hall of the Mountain King, Death of Aase, Morning Mood, Antira's Dance
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Violin Concerto in D
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Sleeping Beauty esp. Waltz

Level 3
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Eugene Onegin esp. Act 1: Tatiana's Lette Scene
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Symphony No. 5 in E minor
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Symphony No. 4 in F minor
Grieg, Edvard: Holberg Suite esp. "Gavotte"

Level 4
Chabrier, Emmanuel: España
Grieg, Edvard: Lyric Pieces esp. No. 4 Notturno , Book 5
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Serenade for Strings in C Major
Sarasate, Pablo de: Zigeunerweisen
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Pique Dame "Queen of Spades"
Widor, Charles-Marie: Organ Symphony No. 5
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Manfred Symphony
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Capriccio Italien
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: String Quartet No. 1

Level 5
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Symphony No. 1 "Winter Daydreams"
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Francesca da Rimini, Fantasia after Dante
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Variations on a Rococo Theme for Cello and Orchestra
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Souvenir de Florence
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Piano Trio in A minor
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Symphony No. 2 "Little Russian"
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Slavonic March
Grieg, Edvard: Violin Sonata No. 3
Grieg, Edvard: Ballade in the Form of Variations on a Norwegian Folk Song
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Symphony No. 3 "Polish"
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: The Seasons esp. vi. June - Barcarole
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: String Quartet No. 2

Level 6
Grieg, Edvard: String Quartet No. 1
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Hamlet Fantasy Overture
Chabrier, Emmanuel: Bourrée Fantastique
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Orchestral Suite No. 3
Chabrier, Emmanuel: Dix Pièces Pittoresques
Grieg, Edvard: Violin Sonata No. 2
Grieg, Edvard: Cello Sonata
Widor, Charles-Marie: Symphony No. 6
Grieg, Edvard: Norwegian Dances
Grieg, Edvard: Haugtussa Song Cycle
Sarasate, Pablo de: Spanische Tānze
Stainer, John: The Crucifiction

Level 7
Grieg, Edvard: Two Elegiac Melodies Op. 34 i. "The Wounded Heart", ii. "The Last Spring"
Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich: Piano Concerto No. 2
Chabrier, Emmanuel: Suite Pastorale
Svendsen, Johan: Symphony No. 2 in B-Flat, Op. 15
Grieg, Edvard: Funeral March in Memory of Rikard Nordraak
Grieg, Edvard: Sigurd Jorsalfar Suite Op. 56
Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich: Iolanta

Honourable mentions:
Sullivan, Arthur: Onward Christian Soldiers, Symphony in E, The Long Day Closes, Twilight

For anyone new to the thread trying to work out what's going on, read the first three posts on page 1.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wishing Mr. C and Mrs. C a wonderful weekend! What a charming summer!

Somewhat of a coincidence, just as I was wrapping my listening of Coppelia (I really liked Delibes and Bruch this week!), I decided to hop into my library's backlog of stuff to listen to. And first up was Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto 1. Got through the first two movements when this new list came out. Always fun to have a head start!

Also, peeking ahead to Level 3, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Eugene Onegin. The Met HD stream with Hvorotovsky and Flemming was one of my favorite discoveries during my covid MET opera deep-dive in early 2020. I just love that entire thing!

761 - 780 of 969 Posts