Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau? But isn't German his mother tongue? I find no flaws in his pronounciation.

What sometimes really can annoy me is bad Latin. Almost no choir or solist pronounce it properly. Italians, French and British have the palatal problem, pronouncing 'vincit' as [vintchit] instead of (approx.) [vintsit], 'plangere' as [plandgere] instead of [planghere] etc.
I was disappointed when I heard the Slovak Philharmonic Choir sing like that. At least Slovaks should pronounce Latin correctly, since they speak a Slavic language that never turns a [prudentsia] into [proodenshah]. :mad:

·
Registered
706 Posts
My Latin teacher told us that some scholars have studied this matter deeply and that they think it should actually be "vinkit"!
In my first year of Latin, we pronounced it in exactly the way (c=k, ae=[eye], s=s, etc.) That's the so-called 'classical pronounciation', and the one we were discussing is 'traditional' - so sorry, I did forget that this, more usual pronounciation, differs from one country to another.

That's why 'vinkit' is the best, actually. It's universal, and latinists use it in international congresses.

But this is a purely linguistic discussion, we ought to get back to music!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.