Bruford Levin Upper Extremities
Steve Morse Band
RMS
McGill Manring Stevens
GHS
Vital Information
Tunnels
some John Scofield and some Dave Weckl fit that description too

Give me a couple hours I could give you twenty more if I'm on the right path here. PM me

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Liquid Tension Experiment.

Reactions: gfav611

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Djam Karet
Divorce Applause
Group 87
Simon Steensland
Apocalyptica
Attention Deficit
Fire Merchants
Bruford Levin Upper Extremities
Steve Morse Band
RMS
McGill Manring Stevens
GHS
Vital Information
Tunnels
some John Scofield and some Dave Weckl fit that description too

Give me a couple hours I could give you twenty more if I'm on the right path here. PM me

All good bands.

But not sure any of them can be considered prog-metal.

Some are prog, some are fusion, one is avant-prog, but I don't see too much prog-metal.

Attention Deficit, Fire Merchants, and McGill/Manring/Stevens are all certainly pretty heavy, but I think they fall in the fusion category.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Here's a few.

Counter-World Experience
Behold...The Arctopus /very technical
Blotted Science / also very technical, use 12 tone method sometimes
Intervals
Gordian Knot / can be less metal and more prog on some occasions
Continuo Renacer /Spanish band that release 2 great technical-metal, fusion albums, then disappeared
Scale the Summit
Exivious / similar to the non-instrumental band, Cynic
Ron Jarzombek's solo albums (PHHHP! , and Solitarily Speaking Of Theoretical Confinement) / very technical
Electrocution 250 / only 1 album, "Cartoon Music from Hell", but it's a good one. Sounds like Bugs Bunny cartoon music, played by musicians with terrifying metal chops.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
A lot of the aforementioned music is difficult to listen to, and I am not referring to its complexity. It's often just plain ugly ... and not in an interesting way. The chaps can play their instruments but do not have the ability or talent to compose anything cohesive and/or interesting.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
A lot of the aforementioned music is difficult to listen to, and I am not referring to its complexity. It's often just plain ugly ... and not in an interesting way. The chaps can play their instruments but do not have the ability or talent to compose anything cohesive and/or interesting.
"Technical metal" fits that description for me -- let's take vapid non-tuneful songs and play them as fast as humanly possible. About as appealing as a chemical peel.

But then, almost anything with "metal" in the name is more about the sound than the song-writing.

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Vital Information is jazz rock, not metal. John Scofield hasn't done anything close to metal music. Tunnels is a prog / jazz group. Bruford / Levin is prog rock but not metal. Prog metal would be somebody like Tony MacAlpine or Jason Becker. And you could seek out some of Dream Theater's instrumental tracks. Metropolis, for one. Trey Gunn has recorded a lot instrumental prog music. Some of his tunes could be described as metal. I recommend going to Bandcamp and listening to his excellent compilation, I'll Tell What I Saw. This also includes many exotic world music inspired prog tunes. Great stuff!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
"Technical metal" fits that description for me -- let's take vapid non-tuneful songs and play them as fast as humanly possible. About as appealing as a chemical peel.

But then, almost anything with "metal" in the name is more about the sound than the song-writing.
There are plenty of technical-metal bands, that write great melodies and tuneful music, but they tend to have vocals. Which the OP was not asking for.

Tesseract (Altered State), The Contortionist (Language), Thank You Scientist (Strange Heads Prevail), Cynic (Traced in Air), are just a few with highly tuneful and emotional music.

Even if I accept (I don't) your description of the bands I listed above, as ugly, vapid, non-tuneful, my tastes in music, and the reasons why I listen to various types of music, is broad enough to appreciate them, for what they are.

My tent is big enough, to listen to music that is drop dead beautiful, thorny and atonal, quiet and sparse sounding, chops laden fusion, and highly technical metal. I listen to them for different reasons, emotionally and/or intellectually. And sometimes, listening to very complex forms of metal, fills one of the many reasons I listen to music.

Reactions: Kjetil Heggelund

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
That sounds closer to an old school rock jam than progressive metal. And of course everything else on the record is intimate jazz trio material.

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
I'll have to pick it up at my local record store. I have to admit that although I bought his last two releases, I haven't listened to them all that much. I miss his old guitar sound with the chorus and mild distortion. Although I do really like Country For Old Men.

Reactions: Captainnumber36
1 - 20 of 29 Posts