Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
I like messing around with computers. I own a business that specializes in custom-built PCs.

Also, I like calligraphy. Roman only, my Chinese looks like kids' drawings.

and if I'm not doing anything...read.

· Registered
32 Posts
I love cooking for my favorite people. I read a lot of science fiction and do a little artwork on the side(not pro) I 've had instrument repair shops in the last 2 cities I have lived in, and when I can find a place here...I collect string instruments,(about 25 or 30?) I am also doing a small # of interviews of luthiers for a mag I like... I also LOVE Canadian old time fiddling and am woodshedding almost enough to keep me happy.....Kerry

· Registered
597 Posts
Besides listening and learning about classical music, and reading about composers biography, I enjoy many other things.

Including:

Curling - Play twice a week, and watch some of the major curling events.

Watching Canadian Football (Go Blue Bombers!)

Sudoku puzzles (my girlfriend and I are addicted to them majorly!) I also like crossword and jigsaw puzzles. (Nothing better on a frigid Winnipeg winter evening than listening to my favorite classical music CD or station while doing a jigsaw puzzle.:) )

Billiards, bowling, bocce ball, mini-golfing.

Love eating out at a good restaurant, especially for sushi or Indian cuisine.

Playing board games or cards with my girlfriend and her son.

Attending Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra events.

Drinking coffee!!!:) :p

G

·
Golf is my favourite sport, not too hectic and always enjoy the 19th hole lol
It is also a great leveller, if you are feeling pleased with yourself golf reminds you that you are fallible. My other hobby is fast sport cars and touring topless. :cool:

· Administrator
10,453 Posts
In decent weather, I love to play golf ... fresh air, exercise and sometimes lots of frustration (LOL)! When not playing at church, the rest of my time is spent composing for the organ, listening to classical music, or practicing on the piano. Other time is spent surfing the net and participating in several music related forums (the 2 Magle forums are the best ones!).

· Registered
98 Posts
Besides music, i also love to play games, computer, and reading about antique things!
Well, I love antique things very much! Medieval clothing, architecture, painting, and so on. Ancient history is also one of my favourites. I also love to study and memorize Latin phrases and Latin Vulgate verses.
Mostly,I tend to love something that's not being liked by another person :)

· Registered
25 Posts
Bsides playing trombone, i play bass, guitar, a little drums. I read A LOT, i play games, talk to friends online, hang with friends and play hacky sack, actually a footbag, play b-ball, play smear the queer, just have fun and play all the sports we can. I fractured my fibula in 3 places and offset 5 of my metatarcils by an inch when i landed my foot on a soccer ball and rolled my ankle on concrete in February, lol, not fun, had to get 12 screws and a plate inserted in my ankle. Sports, music, friends and reading is basically my life lol.

· Registered
71 Posts
What hobbies do you have, guys? What do you besides music?

For myself, life IS art: music, painting, drawing, writing....when i don't do this, i must study...

Travelling is also great, though i didn't have the time to come around much...but mountains (Alps) and sea (north and east sea) are one of my greatest memories.

-Daniel
Oh.My.Gosh. We haev thee xact same hobbies o_o! And when i don' do art/writing/music, i study......and i lvoe travelling, but I've neevr been to the als or thes eas. i' ve been to paris and germany, but i was very little back then so i don't even remember how it looks there @[email protected]

· Registered
138 Posts
I never thought I'd say this, but computing is becoming a hobby for me. I was always hard-core artsy-fartsy, but I got really frustrated with my computer when writing up my undergrad dissertation, so I decided to figure out how the thing actually worked.

Now I'm using Linux and learning Perl, and writing web pages with html and css. I mean, it's not really advanced computing, but pretty hard for a muso!

· Registered
149 Posts
I like spending time with my wife and our kids. :)

I like chess and golf, both of which I know how to play but spend so little time playing that I am not very good.

I like to read fiction, especially mystery, horror, fantasy and science fiction. Someday I'd like to write fiction, but haven't started yet. I also like to read religious/spiritual books.

I like watching good movies (as opposed to bad movies ;)).

I like to cook, but hate cleaning up afterward.

I like drinking tea and trying new teas.

I like playing around on the computer, but when I make too many changes to the computer at home, my wife complains (it's her computer). :p

I like walking the dog when the weather is nice.

· Registered
784 Posts
My hobbies aren't exactly hobbies, more like irregular relaxation. It's not that stressful I mean, since I'm still in school, but some things make me a lot happier when I feel depressed. Other than music, it's:
* My friends (I'm lucky to have five that I may call 'best')
* Astronomy, more precisely stargazing (less then some two years ago)
* Gardening (when I have time)
* I like to cook sometimes, but just like Keemun, hate doing the dishes and everything
afterwards
* Reading poetry and prose
* Writing poetry
* Languages (what you might call 'mildly useful but interesting ones': Latin, Hungarian,
Romanian, and Tolkien's languages in the past)

· Registered
19 Posts
Other things besides music? *GASP!* wat kind of people would we be? haha just kidding, I have some other hobbies, too:

1) dancing both Ballet and Modern Dance (mostly Paul Taylor style, I am being taught by an ex-dancer of his) take up most of my week
2) school and school work (its more a priority than a hobby...)
3) writing (stories, poetry, etc.)
4) singing and listening to music
5) reading lots and lots of books
6) being with friends and family
7) re-teaching myself Italian
8) trying to understand Wagner and the Ring Cycle (i know hes a genius, and he IS!, but im trying to really understand it and get into it)
9) checking email and surfing the internet
10) other normal teenager stuff (shopping, talking on the phone, etc)

· Registered
35 Posts
My list:

Go. A game with the complexity and depth of chess, but much more interesting :) Used to play at a Go club at university, but since I dropped out I've stopped playing so much (no one to play with except online).

Playing soccer (sadly this has stopped too since I left school), watching rugby union (I support Wales). In the summer, tennis.

Programming with python, web design with rails. Using Linux.

Biology, Philosophy, Engineering, Architecture and Planning.

Politics. Not so much a hobby but something that I feel strongly about, and can't really avoid.

I should read more, but I don't. I watch rubbish on TV instead.

· Registered
597 Posts
I've just started learning how to play chess, and enjoying it. So I'll add that to my list. :)
:( Alas, I'm having a rough ride at the Chess game! I've gone and signed up to this wonderful online Chess site www.GameKnot.com

However, I have alot to learn! I'm getting a little discouraged and a little frustrated. I just can't seem to mount some attacks on my opponent since I always seem on the defensive and on the run! I guess I just have to keep at it, practice, read and play some more!

· Registered
1,766 Posts
:( Alas, I'm having a rough ride at the Chess game! I've gone and signed up to this wonderful online Chess site www.GameKnot.com

However, I have alot to learn! I'm getting a little discouraged and a little frustrated. I just can't seem to mount some attacks on my opponent since I always seem on the defensive and on the run! I guess I just have to keep at it, practice, read and play some more!
Just wait till I join the site, eventually, and you will start feeling that you're the greatest player in the world. :D ;)

21 - 40 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.