Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
yah, chess against a worthy adversary is frustrating, i bought a chess game for my PC and set it to as hard as i could and after about the 500,000th time of getting my *** whooped and throwing stuff lol i started to get what he was doing and i got really good, then i laid off of chess and haven't played for a few months but i still got some moves, it takes time and patience.

· Registered
16 Posts
Traveling to new countries, reading (I have the nasty habit of buying more books than I need to, and of starting in a book as soon as I buy it, resulting in the fact that usually I'm reading at least two books at once), jiu-jitsu, cooking, eating and movies.

· Registered
312 Posts
Time to revive this thread!

In the past year or so I've been getting into birdwatching, which is admittedly difficult when you a) live in a crowded city like Boston and b) have no car! Relatedly, stargazing, which is very difficult given the insane light pollution here!

I also enjoy collecting field guides, playing certain computer games, hiking, blogging, and the websites wikipedia and TVtropes.org.

· Registered
4,089 Posts
I love Physics, Music, Philosophy, Evolutionary Biology and Ecology, History.

· Registered
8,030 Posts
Time to revive this thread!
Thank you, Falstaft. I wasn't aware it existed.

I want to do it all! I want to write, paint, make music, design environments, explore the inner recesses of the mind, learn history, imagine the future.

That is why I am so interested in virtual worlds. Someday soon we will be able to create entire imaginary worlds for people to explore. This has already begun in a rudimentary way with the so called MMRPG's (massive multiplayer role playing games) such as World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, and most especially Second Life (R) which is not really a game at all, but a 3d creativity platform (among other more lurid things). Wouldn't it be nice to have total control of a virtual environment, to make 3D works of art for your viewers / consumers /experiencers to explore? I think it will be a new art form, or already is. It will only get better with time and technology.

Out of all these hobbies I have really only had success at painting. I was a free lance illustrator for about 10 years in the 80's and 90's. Ah, well. You can't really do it all. But I still live . . .

· Registered
4,089 Posts
I love nature too! You are very lucky to live in a beautiful country such as NZ. I guess one down side of living here is the lack of dramatic landscapes and any change in elevation. Though we do have plenty of wetlands and estuaries, forests and also some cool sand dune-desert landscapes.

And because of my love of nature, Travel is also a big passion. The world has so many beautiful things to exhibit.
Which places have you enjoyed best, Sospiro?

· Registered
6,266 Posts
I love nature too! You are very lucky to live in a beautiful country such as NZ. I guess one down side of living here is the lack of dramatic landscapes and any change in elevation. Though we do have plenty of wetlands and estuaries, forests and also some cool sand dune-desert landscapes.

And because of my love of nature, Travel is also a big passion. The world has so many beautiful things to exhibit.
Which places have you enjoyed best, Sospiro?
I've lived in NZ (briefly) & it has some very exciting parts. Sometimes though you don't need to go far to enjoy the natural world. I took this photo of a magpie 'mobbing' a fox three minutes' walk from my home.

Of the places I've seen I think I like Italy the best because of Ferrari & Romantic Opera.

Never been to Netherlands but going to Amsterdam for a few days in June with friends & really looking forward to that. Where are the sand dune desert landscapes?

· Registered
4,089 Posts
There are extensive coastal dunes that provide us natural flood defence, but the real 'dutch Sahara' go to De Hoge Veluwe National park or the Sallandse Heuvelrug. I hope you enjoy this country.

Unfortunately there arent many foxes in the coastal areas, including Amsterdam. The water table is too close to the surface so foxes cant dig their burrows without flooding them. I remember in london we had plenty of foxes.

· Registered
312 Posts
I took this photo of a magpie 'mobbing' a fox three minutes' walk from my home.
Great pic sospiro! Bet you were glad you had your camera on hand when that happened. And though I've never been to New Zealand, it's definitely up there on my places on the globe I most want to visit.

Weston, I know the draw of virtual environments -- I spent probably an "unsafe" amount of time exploring the weird world of Second Life, though I never contributed anything except perhaps my own feelings of confusion :). A friend recently pointed out this online world to me: http://www.minecraft.net/ -- very simple and user friendly but has quite a lot of quick-and-easy building potential for a casual user like me.

mamascarlatti, you'll have to let me know how Darwin's Dangerous Idea turns out. I read most everything Daniel Dennett writes, but for some reason I never completed that book (though maybe I was just too busy). He's a wonderfully clear writer (and looks like Santa Claus to boot!).

· Registered
3,814 Posts
My hobbies right now include being a poor person, wearing a hat one of my new friends made for me, eating dried apricots (they're soooo good...), occasionally eating "Chinese" and even more rarely (i.e. when I go home) going out and buying cheese (real cheese, none of this envelope-wrapped crap they call cheese) because I like cheese almost as much as tea, drinking tea (never saw that one coming, eh?), reading books on philosophy, watching Miyazaki films (and Lord of the Rings, which I consider with Miyazaki's films some of the best films I've ever seen) and Avatar: the Last Airbender episodes, making extraordinarily verbose lists of things I like to do in my spare time apart from music (with equally verbose parenthetical remarks here and there (hmm...)), and looking at good art printed in obscenely enormous, high-quality books that I really can't afford but get for an indulgence every once in a while.

This is everything I do outside of music, apart from eating (not very much), drinking water and grape juice (the only things I drink apart from tea lately), and all that other stuff that has to do with cleanliness and general survival.

Now this truly is everything I do outside of music. Wow, this didn't take long...

· Registered
7,991 Posts
My main hobby is opera and everything related to it; CDs, DVDs, blu-rays, Met in HD, Met Opera Radio, Opera News Magazine, several different web sites, etc.
My second hobby is wine. I subscribe to a couple of magazines, patronize a couple of wine stores where I know the owners personally (including having them over for dinner) to taste, chat, and get advice on good buys; have wine tasting events with friends, go to classes about wine, buy books, and travel to wine regions.
Third is gourmet food/cooking/entertaining and gourmet cheeses.
I also am crazy about sports, especially American football, soccer, ice hockey, and college basketball. I have season tickets to the games of two teams and attend several other isolated sports events in my area.
Cinema and literature used to be big interests of mine but lately I've been so busy with the above that I haven't paid much attention to these. After all, the weekend has only two days.

· Registered
102 Posts
Bird-watching, dog walking, reading, trying to support my cricket team (Lancashire County Cricket Club) trying to support my football team (Preston North End) film-watching, gardening, walking/nature rambles, local history, multiple church related activities, cooking, interneting, babysitting for our grandchildren, endless hours music listening, that's about it.

· Registered
102 Posts
I'm wanna-be bird watcher and I'm planning to start to take things more seriously from forthcoming summer on. Birds are crazy creatures. I would like to give some egret a big hug but I guess she wouldn't like such idea.
It's a marvellous hobby. How tall are you? Some Egrets are over 5' tall, you may end up hugging his legs!

41 - 60 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.