Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm noticing that Amazon seems to be listing fewer second-hand CDs from third-party sellers (and those it does list are going up in price).
Can anyone recommend a good alternative site for buying used classical CDs (UK-based, or at least shipping to the UK)? Thanks!

· Banned
18,315 Posts
Check out Discogs.

· Registered
3,915 Posts
Check out Discogs.
I, too, would recommend Discogs. I've purchased from the site, from a number of sellers, and have always been well satisfied with the results.

You might look to F.Y.E. (For Your Entertainment, at www.fye.com/ ) as well. Good deals are available. Just plug "Used CDs" into the search box.

· Registered
12,869 Posts
Amazon seem to have alienated (or purged?) their small sellers (usually selling used items) and are only left with the larger ones who often give a really lousy service and are able to sell for higher prices now because the competition has gone. I used to buy from Amazon a lot but I never go there now. My last few experiences were uniformly bad. Discogs is good, especially for unusual items, and has many good sellers. But eBay can often be simpler and cheaper: it doesn't have the range but I always check it first.

· Registered
1,214 Posts
www.prestomusic.com in the UK. Sells only new music, but in the current market new often beats used prices. The extra hurdle in buying used music (also from Amazon) one by one are the international shipping cost. As mentioned before, Discogs is a good alternative for used. Ebay only for very specific recordings, as it is quite a hurdle to search and deal.
For exotic or hard to find CD's, I sometimes go to hmv.co.jp in Japan. Great choice and prices are often better as expected.

· Registered
1,963 Posts
I don't find much diminution at Amazon. Other sources I used besides those listed:

CD and LP similar to Discogs
Music Stack a place that sometimes also links buyers to sellers that will make LP-to-CD versions
Japan CD sells only new but can be a source for Japan-only recordings
I haven't shopped Second Spin in a long time but they're still around though not particularly sophisticated. I just searched Beethoven there and got some CDs and the movie about the dog.

For CD remakes of classic recordings in improved sound …

High Definition Tape Transfers
Pristine Classical
Haydn House though their sound isn't always as good as the other two

I used to shop hmv.co.jp in Japan but when I load that address now nothing happens.

I find Presto Music a good source and often less expensive than competitors.

Ebay is good but usually more expensive than Amazon.

Arkiv Music contracts to redo out-of-print recordings and is often very expensive

When shopping Amazon and ebay don't forget they have outlets in other countries. It used to be easy to jump from Amazon USA to Amazon UK, Germany, Italy or Japan but now you have to type in an address. Ditto for ebay. Not everyone ships internationally; you find out when you go to buy when red type comes up. You can translate that through Bing Translator or any other translation service if you don't speak the language.

· Registered
12,869 Posts
www.prestomusic.com in the UK. Sells only new music, but in the current market new often beats used prices. The extra hurdle in buying used music (also from Amazon) one by one are the international shipping cost. As mentioned before, Discogs is a good alternative for used. Ebay only for very specific recordings, as it is quite a hurdle to search and deal.
Surprising! I haven't had any difficulty with eBay. The search facility works fine (I suppose you do need to know what you are looking for - its not so great for browsing classical CDs) and dealing could hardly be easier. Mostly you choose and pay. Sometimes a seller indicates a willingness to consider offers in which case you can try to arrive at an agreement for a cheaper price through a simple message facility. Or for items that are up for auction (which is rare for classical CDs as they tend to be slow sellers) you can participate in that and sometimes get a great bargain. You can also look at a sellers whole "shop" and make offers on multiple purchases - saving a lot on the individual prices. Presto are good - I like their website - but their prices are quite high even for their special offers.

· Banned
18,315 Posts
It's worth noting that many Arkiv titles are CDRs, not CDs, so be sure to check. I have several of their CDRs of out-of-print titles, as I can obtain them no other way. They sound fine, but are CDRs.

Reactions: SONNET CLV

· Registered
384 Posts
Discogs proposes me a CD Box at 25 dollars, I confirm the order; they send me a modified invoice including shipment (not mentionned at the onset) 25 + 25 = 50 bucks ! I sent a cancellation message, this is plain rip-off !!

· Registered
94 Posts
Discogs proposes me a CD Box at 25 dollars, I confirm the order; they send me a modified invoice including shipment (not mentionned at the onset) 25 + 25 = 50 bucks ! I sent a cancellation message, this is plain rip-off !!
That's not Discogs wrongdoing, but the individual seller's policy. I use both eBay and Discogs only for very specific recordings (classical and pop) as shipping cost tend to be sky high (as in 'first CD $15, every additional CD $3') for international shipping. Make sure you always check the shipping cost *before* you purchase anything on Discogs. Amazon is way less expensive for second hand CDs. It's mostly the UK, France and Germany sites that offer the best deals for me (alhough the shipping cost from Germany also tend to be high, which is interesting as I live about 4km from the German border :)). US sellers often do not ship to Europe.

One also has to realize that the demand for second hand (and new!) CDs has plummeted in recent years, especially for classical titles. Second hand classical CDs are really flooding the market, everybody who tries to sell second hand CDs knows that. That's probably why less and less sellers list these on the various Amazon sites.

The nice thing about this is that OOP titles that were really expensive a few years back can be found at much lower prices now on Amazon. Yesterday bought the 3CD Deutsche Grammophon sets of Orff's Antigonae and Oedipus Der Tyrann from the 1990 20th Century Classics series for €10.50 and €16.50 including P&P (The latter from Amazon.de which had a shipping rate of €7 for this box).

· Registered
17,998 Posts
Visit the library branches in your town. Many of them sell CDs for a dollar each. I picked up quite a few good classical titles this past year.

Reactions: science

· Registered
10,698 Posts

· Registered
17,998 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.