Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Modern amplifiers do not have any sound. They are transparent, and amplify the signal they are given. If you are dissatisfied, you should change the speakers. Those do have personality of their own.

· Registered
264 Posts
As it usually happens, you already know the amp is guilty, and although you ask for opinions, you dismiss all of them, and you will try some new amps.

I keep saying to myself that I should not post any opinions anymore, but I do not seem to be able to learn! :lol:

In any case, it is either the speakers or (as Bigshot told you), an interaction between the equipment and your room that creates some sort of echo at some frequency.

If you want it easy, some AV receivers use an auto-equalization feature that helps with that. I have a Denon AVR3310 that does it. They use sound pulses in front of a supplied microphone and supposedly correct for that. There are other, more complicated ways to do that manually using software, a mic and equalization, but that requires some learning.

Now get yourself another amp!. The placebo effect dictates that the more expensive, the better will work!:)

· Registered
264 Posts
Hi dogen,

It isn't cheap, certainly, but you do get a DAC included as well as the ability to use it with a variety of sources. It is less expensive than my current Naim amp (sorry about that fgf ;) ) and so if I bought it, proceeds of selling my current gear would virtually cover the cost.
No problem Barnaby. It is your money, after all. And you have sense of humor, something very rare around here:lol:

· Registered
264 Posts
Yes, let's trash science and embrace subjectivism. Because there are no studies performed in big populations, those with small samples mean nothing. That's surely the modern way. We'll have to agree on our disagreement. If your two amps sound so different there are two possible causes:

-One of them is defective or designed to have some sort of "signature" sound. Something like the tube amps, that have poor amplification capabilities at high frequencies and an special distortion that "softens" music in a way that people like it. Nothing wrong with that (you pick your own poison in a free world) as long as you dont ignore what's happening.

-Placebo effect.

All modern, well designed amplifiers are transparent. Some may have better measurements, but in ranges you cannot hear or distinguish.

All that takes to convince yourself is a well-designed honest double blind test. Beyond the science of large numbers.

However, I totally agree with your last statement. As long as we enjoy the music, we can be friends and enjoy it together. No hard feelings.

· Registered
264 Posts
I would recommend anyone fond of the expression "if it can be measured it can be heard" to study a bit of sensorial physiology. The term "threshold" is important. As an example, you can weight 1 mg using a good instrument. Can you feel 1 mg in your hand?.

· Registered
264 Posts
Marketing. Sellers of hi-fi equipment say their amps sound better. Some people believe it and buy them. Look around and watch the adds on tv. All try to catch the emotionality of the buyer. And most buyers are very ignorant of the whole thing. They dont know what they purchase, and they agree to be cheated. The marketing-publicity bussiness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.