Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 165 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Hi dogen,

It isn't cheap, certainly, but you do get a DAC included as well as the ability to use it with a variety of sources. It is less expensive than my current Naim amp (sorry about that fgf ;) ) and so if I bought it, proceeds of selling my current gear would virtually cover the cost.
No problem Barnaby. It is your money, after all. And you have sense of humor, something very rare around here:lol:

· Registered
5,901 Posts
Haven't heard the Mystique's either but several other Neat's and liked them quite well (but they unfortunately give to little bass for an organ aficionado like me) and my experience is that, they don't really need that much power but like an amplifier that can deliver a lot of juice
Any speaker capable of producing sub bass frequencies will need a lot of power to do it. The lower the frequency, the more power needed to produce it. My subwoofer has a 2700 watt amp in it. It's capable of putting out healthy volume down to 15Hz. That is very very low and takes a lot of oomph to produce.

· Registered
5,901 Posts
If amplifiers were truly transparent there'd be no further need for design effort. I tend to agree with bigshot that there's an awful lot of trivia, chicanery and charlatanism about audiophilia but beyond that, some of us are still striving to achieve the transparent amp: the straight wire with gain and no resistance.
I've got one. I've swapped in three amps in the past 20 years or so, and each of them sounded the same as all the others. (I checked.) That's important to me, because my system is carefully calibrated. I don't want to have to start from scratch every time I buy a new player or amp. Let me know next time you're in the market and I'll point you to some great deals on audibly transparent equipment. It's abundant and inexpensive.

· Registered
3,393 Posts
I've got one. I've swapped in three amps in the past 20 years or so, and each of them sounded the same as all the others. (I checked.) That's important to me, because my system is carefully calibrated. I don't want to have to start from scratch every time I buy a new player or amp. Let me know next time you're in the market and I'll point you to some great deals on audibly transparent equipment. It's abundant and inexpensive.
I believe the man designs his own stuff...

· Registered
7,018 Posts
Any speaker capable of producing sub bass frequencies will need a lot of power to do it. The lower the frequency, the more power needed to produce it. My subwoofer has a 2700 watt amp in it. It's capable of putting out healthy volume down to 15Hz. That is very very low and takes a lot of oomph to produce.
Yea sure, You're still based in the 1970's inefficient speakers rhetoric!, my Toruses are specd 10 - 15oHz / 100dB/1 meter and their "integrated" amp has "mere" 200W; I have two and they are more then able to fill my 60 square meter listening room/library/man cave with low frequencies!

Nuff said!

/ptr

· Registered
5,901 Posts
Nice sub! I bet that set you back a bit.

But power needs depend on the speaker and the design. In general, the lower the frequency, the more power needed to push it. Your speakers are the exception, not typical. I have a top of the line Sunfire which is the other end of the spectrum.

· Registered
440 Posts
.......Let me know next time you're in the market and I'll point you to some great deals on audibly transparent equipment. It's abundant and inexpensive.
Thanks!

However, I haven't actually bought an amp in a long, long time. My accomplice and I accept commissions (and can beat the best at 5 times the price at least). People have certain requirements, like a current assignment involves a 12-step volume control with steps 4-7 being only 3db apart. Things like that.

Obviously one doesn't design an amp from scratch - there are many established designs out there - but one always looks for ways to improve.

· Registered
1 Posts
Bigshot .. New member .. Can't pm. Please advise of inexpensive audibly transparent equipment..thanks. No albums. Need speakers. Headphones, etc. listen primarily to opera. Thanks. Want speakers that are balanced.

· Registered
5,901 Posts
Speakers are the hard part. The electronics are usually clean and balanced out of the box. Speakers are an ENTIRELY different story. They are all over the map. The best thing you can do is to audition speakers and pick the ones that sound the best. But the second you put them in your own living room, the sound will change. You can correct for that with the placement of the speakers and furniture in the room, room treatment (bass traps, acoustic panels) and equalization. I use an AV receiver as an amp, because it comes with a decent digital equalizer built in. Hope this helps.

· Banned
1,340 Posts
I have all my music in digital format on a Mac mini/external hard drive and, until now have used a Naim Supernait with Hi-cap2 into a pair of Neat Mystique speakers. After many years of using Naim gear, and feeling vaguely dissatisfied with its reproduction of orchestral pieces, I have decided to jump ship.
it isn't the amplifier but the source that fails to deliver the sound desired; an external DAC and tweaking with the Mac's settings as well as selecting an appropriate player program might help to solve the problem; also the apartment's power circuit, if polluted with noise, needs a decent power filter like Shunyata or a regenerator like PS Audio Power Plant.

· Registered
5,901 Posts
speakers positioning and room accoustics correction are very essential too.
That and EQ are the lion's share of the problem in any system. Finding a clean amp that is powerful enough is just a matter of checking the watts against your speakers. Correcting for the speakers in the room is a LOT more difficult

· Registered
5,901 Posts
it isn't the amplifier but the source that fails to deliver the sound desired; an external DAC and tweaking with the Mac's settings as well as selecting an appropriate player program might help to solve the problem
Every Mac I've ever owned (and I've had lots of them) has had perfect sound right out of the box. People who have PCs don't understand that iTunes is a much better program on the Mac. You don't have to jerry rig with Macs. They work.

· Registered
25,464 Posts
People who have PCs don't understand that iTunes is a much better program on the Mac. You don't have to jerry rig with Macs. They work.
What are the differences? iTunes has always worked quite properly with my PC, except for one upgrade that corrupted a library. :scold: Things aren't always tagged as I'd like, but that's hardly iTunes's fault...

· Registered
5,901 Posts
You can't improve the Mac's performance audibly. They are already audibly transparent with specs far beyond human hearing. You might improve theoretical sound, but only bats and dogs would appreciate it. Macs contain DACs that perform just as well as audiophile DACs. They've been specifically designed for music and video production and playback since the old Powermac days.

· Registered
5,901 Posts
What are the differences? iTunes has always worked quite properly with my PC, except for one upgrade that corrupted a library. :scold: Things aren't always tagged as I'd like, but that's hardly iTunes's fault...
iTunes is rock solid on my Mac Mini media server. iTunes runs 24/7 and goes for a month without needing to be restarted. I'm told that on PCs it crashes occasionally. I've never had any problems with the library. Did you have to delete your whole library and put the files back in again?

· Registered
952 Posts
Modern amplifiers do not have any sound. They are transparent, and amplify the signal they are given. If you are dissatisfied, you should change the speakers. Those do have personality of their own.
I beg to differ as this is quite simply an altogether untrue statement. Most, if not all, modern amps certainly DO "color" the sound. In fact, most modern consumer amps suck sound-wise. If you really want hi fidelity you need to go "pro" or high-end "boutique".

Anytime a signal is passed through a solid-state circuit board, coloration will and does occur. How much it occurs depends on a lot of factors, including but not limited to the make of the amp, the class (type A, B or A/B), model, circuit design, type and quality of components used, etc. If there are capacitors, chips, transistors, resistors, or any combination thereof, coloration will occur. Tube amps, of course, color the sound as well, just in a different way. They get a "tubey" type sound that some people prefer. The trick is finding an amp and speaker combo which, together, produces a character or color that you like. And that comes down to knowledge (or finding a good consultant who really knows his/her stuff), trial and error (not an option for most) or just doing a ton a research, review reading and hoping for the best.

Addendum: If you are playing your music from a music software library like iTunes via a computer (Mac or PC), then the single most important piece of gear you can upgrade to for improved sound is your sound card. Depending on the type of card and its configuration, if you then couple that with a high-quality external DAC unit, it will change your world forever. I have a Lynx AES-16e sound card (retails for $650) that I have been extremely happy with, which I run the signal out of (digitally) to a Mytek Stereo96 DAC (48/96kHz D/A converter), then directly into a pair of powered Mackie HR824 reference monitors. The Mytek goes for approximately $1,000 new (if you're lucky you can find a used one for $500 to $700) and is hands down my absolute favorite DAC available on the market today (extremely smooth, transparent, clear and accurate from 5 Hz to 20 kHz). I worked as a professional audio engineer here in Nashville for almost 30 years and owned my own mid-level professional recording facility for nearly 20, so I've had a lot of time and opportunity to hear and/or use just about everything that's available on the market.

One day I will substitute new speakers into my setup but, until then, the HR824s sound great.

21 - 40 of 165 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.