Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,952 Posts
Besides the EMI releases for Callas, Divina label has a more deluxe CD or download release using BJR (BJ records) master tapes donated to owner of Divina and best of all includes a huge pdf media file with rare photos (355 total in 479 page book) from that performance, the beautiful color photo on CD cover is from the included collection

http://www.divinarecords.com/dvn018/dvn018.html

· Registered
3,952 Posts
As for other recordings of the opera (aren't three or four enough?), then super fans of Gencer, Caballe, Scotto or Ricciarelli will also want their recordings, but I don't think the Gencer or Caballe are essential and I haven't heard the other two. (In any case the Gala set of the Souliotis performance has some bonus excerpts of Gencer and Galvany in the role with Samuel Ramey and Boris Christoff.)
N.
Great work in posts above Conte, lots of useful info......

Callas is untouchable in Anna Bolena for me, no one really even comes close :)

Gencer gets special mention from me, she had the misfortune of not having a major label recording contract so we are left with only live recordings of her work, but she has all the bel canto vocal techniques in her toolbox and sang with artistic sense, she performed Anna Bolena in 1958 also with Simionato (as Lady Seymour) and conductor Gavazzeni and almost certainly has the best sung complete "tudor queens" boxset

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.