Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 105 Posts

· Registered
10,435 Posts
Besides the EMI releases for Callas, Divina label has a more deluxe CD or download release using BJR (BJ records) master tapes donated to owner of Divina and best of all includes a huge pdf media file with rare photos (355 total in 479 page book) from that performance, the beautiful color photo on CD cover is from the included collection

http://www.divinarecords.com/dvn018/dvn018.html

Unfortunately the CDs aren't available at the moment, like most of the Divina stuff. Only available as downloads, which is a shame because I love the Divina CDs I have

· Registered
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Just won on ebay. Used good condition for $10. Couldn't resist.

Now I have all four of Donizetti's queens. Number 4 being this gem I picked up a couple weeks ago:

My other Anna Bolena's being Callas and Theodossiou, and my other Maria Stuarda being this (also picked up a couple weeks ago):

· Registered
10,435 Posts
Just won on ebay. Used good condition for $10. Couldn't resist.

Now I have all four of Donizetti's queens. Number 4 being this gem I picked up a couple weeks ago:

My other Anna Bolena's being Callas and Theodossiou, and my other Maria Stuarda being this (also picked up a couple weeks ago):
there is an even better Baker Maria Stuarda out there, recorded when she was in fresher voice. Tinsley is excellent too.

· Registered
4,661 Posts
Just to complete somehow the list of Bolenas on cd mentioned in the thread (though my favorites are indeed Callas and the Gencer of 1958), it could be interesting to listen to Renata Scotto:

This is from 1975, and we can listen to Ms. Scotto producing some acid, rather ugly sounds now and then, shouted high notes, a tendency to balance in excess... On the other hand, she is also able to regulate the sound, to use mezza voce ("va infelice, e teco reca il perdono di Bolena"), and give some beautiful examples of canto spianato, and dramatic singing. The young Samuel Ramey is also a plus on this recording.

My favorite live performer of the role on stage, is Edita Gruberova.

· Registered
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
schigolch, do you recommend this Scotto set?

Interesting, but that brings me to my next question. The Scotto CD cover says "Complete Opera" and "Two CD Set." However my Theodossiou set says "First Complete Recording" and is 3 CDs:

What is the story here? Both the Theodossiou CD and DVD (which are different performances) are 3 hours long, but many of the other Anna Bolena CD sets I see are 2 CD? What are we missing? Why do they not produce the whole opera? I think the only other exception is Sills, which is 3 CDs (so Theodossiou's is not the first complete recording).

Oh, and in case anyone hasn't sensed it yet, I think I am getting Anna Bolena fever. I just watched the Sutherland DVD and it spurred me to start scoping other CD sets.

· Registered
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ok, looks like the Gruberova and Sutherland Bolena sets are each 3 CDs. Generally the 2 CD sets run about 2 hr 20 min whereas the 3 CD sets run 3 hr 10-20 min.

· Registered
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sills' recording is 3 hr. 14 min.
So any 2CD affair must be approached with caution.
Of course, I would not be without Callas recording, which runs merely 2 hr. 20 min (that's almost 55 minutes shorter!!!)
My thoughts exactly!

Interestingly, the Sutherland DVD is 2 hrs 17 minutes, whereas the Sutherland CD set is 3 hrs 12 minutes!

· Registered
5,273 Posts
schigolch, do you recommend this Scotto set?

Interesting, but that brings me to my next question. The Scotto CD cover says "Complete Opera" and "Two CD Set." However my Theodossiou set says "First Complete Recording" and is 3 CDs:

What is the story here? Both the Theodossiou CD and DVD (which are different performances) are 3 hours long, but many of the other Anna Bolena CD sets I see are 2 CD? What are we missing? Why do they not produce the whole opera? I think the only other exception is Sills, which is 3 CDs (so Theodossiou's is not the first complete recording).

Oh, and in case anyone hasn't sensed it yet, I think I am getting Anna Bolena fever. I just watched the Sutherland DVD and it spurred me to start scoping other CD sets.
The Theodossiou is the first completely complete recording as far as I recall. Whilst some of the repeats of cavatinas and cabalettas are omitted in some of the live recordings there is also an extra aria for Smeton in act one and one for Percy in act two that are completely cut from the Callas recording. IIRC the Sutherland and Sills recordings have a few cuts in Percy's aria in act one scene two, whereas the Theodossiou includes the aria complete.

N.

· Registered
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks Conte. Then it is worth having for the complete opera, but I think also another bonus is Sonia Ganassi.

Currently listening to Sills' Anna Bolena and likeing it very much.

Just purchased this one (paid more than for the whole Donizetti Sills 3 Queens set which I got for only $10 slightly smoky smelling)
Sleeve One-piece garment Font Magenta Formal wear

· Registered
42,890 Posts
Thanks Conte. Then it is worth having for the complete opera, but I think also another bonus is Sonia Ganassi.

Currently listening to Sills' Anna Bolena and likeing it very much.

Just purchased this one (paid more than for the whole Donizetti Sills 3 Queens set which I got for only $10 slightly smoky smelling)
View attachment 81823
For that price one can't be to critical.
A few hours in the backyard and fresh again:tiphat:

· Registered
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
For that price one can't be to critical.
A few hours in the backyard and fresh again:tiphat:
They aired out just fine and I could not complain at the price since the set was going for about $50 used anywhere else. Sutherland's Anna Bolena is well worth the $15.50 shipped it is costing me. I also picked up an English libretto to Anna Bolena the other day for $3 at a used bookstore (and a German/English one for Lohengrin for $4.80), so I can see Anna Bolena looming very large on my horizon alongside Maria Stuarda. Next Roberto Devereux!

· Registered
42,890 Posts
They aired out just fine and I could not complain at the price since the set was going for about $50 used anywhere else. Sutherland's Anna Bolena is well worth the $15.50 shipped it is costing me. I also picked up an English libretto to Anna Bolena the other day for $3 at a used bookstore (and a German/English one for Lohengrin for $4.80), so I can see Anna Bolena looming very large on my horizon alongside Maria Stuarda. Next Roberto Devereux!
You do know you still missing this one:

:tiphat:

21 - 40 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.