Classical Music Forum banner
101 - 105 of 105 Posts

· Registered
3,952 Posts
As for other recordings of the opera (aren't three or four enough?), then super fans of Gencer, Caballe, Scotto or Ricciarelli will also want their recordings, but I don't think the Gencer or Caballe are essential and I haven't heard the other two. (In any case the Gala set of the Souliotis performance has some bonus excerpts of Gencer and Galvany in the role with Samuel Ramey and Boris Christoff.)
N.
Great work in posts above Conte, lots of useful info......

Callas is untouchable in Anna Bolena for me, no one really even comes close :)

Gencer gets special mention from me, she had the misfortune of not having a major label recording contract so we are left with only live recordings of her work, but she has all the bel canto vocal techniques in her toolbox and sang with artistic sense, she performed Anna Bolena in 1958 also with Simionato (as Lady Seymour) and conductor Gavazzeni and almost certainly has the best sung complete "tudor queens" boxset

· Registered
3,954 Posts

· Registered
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
I don't think it's cheating - it's using your noggin'!
Right, meant cheating factiously. You really have to go at it in as many ways as possible. I have found cheap sets that nobody picked up on because there was a misspelling in the listing. Often I search it on Google images and will finally see an Amazon listing. Think that is what happened above, got the UK Amazon then backfed the number into US Amazon. It can be fun, if you have the time to play around with the systems.

· Registered
5,273 Posts
Great work in posts above Conte, lots of useful info......

Callas is untouchable in Anna Bolena for me, no one really even comes close :)

Gencer gets special mention from me, she had the misfortune of not having a major label recording contract so we are left with only live recordings of her work, but she has all the bel canto vocal techniques in her toolbox and sang with artistic sense, she performed Anna Bolena in 1958 also with Simionato (as Lady Seymour) and conductor Gavazzeni and almost certainly has the best sung complete "tudor queens" boxset

I agree with your last comment (isn't the only other box set available the Sills set?) Only a select number of divas have sung all three, let alone recorded them all. Sutherland only managed two. Caballe would be my favourite of the singers who sang all three, but there isn't a viable version of her Anna Bolena that caught her on a good night. Theodossiou has done all three, as has Devia and Radvanovsky, however I'm not sure which have recorded all three (if you include opera depot then I imagine there are recordings of all three). As it is, I'm more than happy with the combination of Callas, Caballe, Theodossiou and Sutherland's recordings to cover all three of the operas, with Caballe's Maria and Deveraux Elisabetta being my favourites for the other two operas.

I've never quite been able to get into Gencer and it's a shame she didn't make any studio recordings. A recital disc in good sound would give a much better idea of her talents. Her approach to the drama of the bel canto roles hasn't lit any fires for me, nor have I been impressed with her vocality beyond generally enjoying it. I haven't listened to her as much as I could have done, though.

N.

101 - 105 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.