Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
12,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anton Arensky (1861-1906) was a Russian pianist, teacher and composer. I've just been to a concert last weekend where his Piano Trio No. 1 was played. It contained music which was pretty dark, soulful & lyrical, reminiscent mainly of Tchaikovsky but also Mendelssohn. His main strength was apparently chamber music. Arensky studied with Rimsky Korsakov who said "In his youth Arensky did not escape some influence from me; later the influence came from Tchaikovsky. He will quickly be forgotten." I think history has proven Rimsky's comments to be of poor judgement, as Arensky's compositions are still being played. Arensky also made an impact as a teacher, instructing composers such as Scriabin, Rachmaninov & Gretchaninov. I did hear a similarity between the Arensky piano trio & those of Rachmaninov, so he may have been somewhat of an influence on these younger men. Arensky died only in his 40's, of tubercolosis.

· Registered
12,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, judging from the Piano Trio No. 1, Arensky wasn't interested in pushing boundaries but maintaining the traditions of Tchaikovsky & Mendelssohn. The work favours the cello a bit apparently as it was written in the memory of a great Russian cellist who died at the time. Similarly, Rachmaninov's Piano Trio No. 2 was written in memory of Tchaikovsky. & I think I remember reading that Tchaikovsky's own Piano Trio was also in memoriam to a friend. What's with these Russians, linking piano trios to death? Looks like it became a bit of a tradition to write such works towards the turn of the C20th...

· Registered
12,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sad how he died due to complications with alcoholism. Like HC, I've also heard the 1st piano trio. It was played live here in Sydney last year by Kathryn Selby & her "Trioz" group. It's not a bad piece. I agree with myaskovsky2002 that Arensky was heavily influenced by Tchaikovsky, perhaps a bit too much for his own good. But it's hard to judge the man, especially since he died so young. If say Janacek had died at a similar age, then he probably would have been as obscure as Arensky, almost a footnote in the history of music, having been influenced and "guided" by other composers of the time, until he hit his 50's and a stream of masterpieces came from his pen...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.