Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 639 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my wave of enthusiasm over Inter's victory vs. AS Roma tonight I was wondering if maybe there were some other passionate football fans here in TC? By the way, is this the correct forum for sports topics or is there a more specific sports subforum that I didn't notice?

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
I USED to be a massive fan, but now there is too much about the modern game at the top level that really p***es me off.

Ah, Inter - I can just about remember the likes of Sandro Mazzola and the peerless Giacinto Facchetti. I've seen vintage footage of Inter and I don't think they were as overly-defensive as what they were supposed to be famous for. Compared to some other teams of the era they weren't dirty either.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
You need to follow a league in a quiet, unassuming country that doesn't have a top level. Maybe Latvia. :D
I still go and see Kidderminster Harriers occasionally (they play in the fifth tier of the English league system) - it's more down to earth at that level and it reminds me more of the sport I was brought up with when the A-List egos weren't completely out of control (as weren't the salaries) and managers knew how to deal with anyone who stepped out of line.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Reactions: Templeton

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Currently not much spectacular playing going on here in Denmark, also concerning the national team, and I don´t have television access to that many international games. So taking a break.

But - Elkjær, Barcelona´s Romario, Laudrup, etc. - those were the days :).
Fine team in the 80s, the Danes - great attacking football.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Kidderminster Harriers - what a great name! My favourite team name is Inverness Caledonian Thistle. How can anyone not like a team with a name like that?
Scottish teams have had some exotic names, especially in the past - Battlefield, Vale of Leven, Orion, Solway Star... Did you know there were three teams in Inverness before Caledonian and Thistle's merger? The other team is the wonderfully-named Clachnacuddin.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I really enjoy soccer; I've played it since at least kindergarten, and I always try to watch the World Cup. The problem is that besides that, it's never on TV, so it's really hard to follow a club and keep track of things, so I just don't.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I can't match the originality of most of the other posters, being a Liverpool fan. I do, however, have lots of wonderful memories, as a result, but unfortunately, at the opposite end of the spectrum, two of my darkest memories.

Like Elgar's Ghost notes, the modern game has changed out of all recognition and is no longer so enjoyable; or maybe I have just become a grumpy old man.

I follow a few other teams, overseas; Hertha Berlin, because I lived there once, Saint Etienne, because they were party to the finest football match that I ever attended (the 1977 European Cup Quarter Final, second leg), FC Nantes, because they were/are my mother's local team, etc.

My suggestion for great team names is Grasshoppers Zurich and, inevitably, Deportivo Wanka.

Okay, I confess, I looked the last one up; it is a real team, however, from Peru. Obviously twinned with Deportivo Moron, from Argentina.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
I can't match the originality of most of the other posters, being a Liverpool fan. I do, however, have lots of wonderful memories, as a result, but unfortunately, at the opposite end of the spectrum, two of my darkest memories.

Like Elgar's Ghost notes, the modern game has changed out of all recognition and is no longer so enjoyable; or maybe I have just become a grumpy old man.

I follow a few other teams, overseas; Hertha Berlin, because I lived there once, Saint Etienne, because they were party to the finest football match that I ever attended (the 1977 European Cup Quarter Final, second leg), FC Nantes, because they were/are my mother's local team, etc.

My suggestion for great team names is Grasshoppers Zurich and, inevitably, Deportivo Wanka.

Okay, I confess, I looked the last one up; it is a real real team, however, from Peru. Obviously twinned with Deportivo Moron, from Argentina.
Don't worry - I'm also grumpy, but some of the antics and culture now irredeemably endemic within the modern game certainly do no help my temperament.

St. Etienne - man, how I was rooting for them to beat Bayern Munich at Hampden in 1976! Allez les verts!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Scottish teams have had some exotic names, especially in the past - Battlefield, Vale of Leven, Orion, Solway Star... Did you know there were three teams in Inverness before Caledonian and Thistle's merger? The other team is the wonderfully-named Clachnacuddin.
Dream score Forfar 4 - East Fife 5

·
Registered
959 Posts
Saint Etienne, because they were party to the finest football match that I ever attended (the 1977 European Cup Quarter Final, second leg)
Alas, living in Estonia the idea of "finest football" is a bit of a misnomer and matches of any meaning are all played in Tallinn. That said, I did enjoy a game on the telly a few years ago when our boys beat Diego Forlán and his brothers from Uruguay 2-0. We used our secret weapon - a temperature of 0 and a lot of snow! :lol:

·
Retired
6,726 Posts
I've lived within roaring distance of three grounds - Aberdeen's Pittodrie, Manchester City's Maine Road, and Preston North End's Deepdale, and I've supported Aberdeen (as a lad) and Preston (as a dad). I like very little about the current upper echelons of British football.

Great football team names from my part of the world - Forres Mechanics and Inverurie Loco Works FC (both Highland League)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
How about Third Lanark? - whatever happened to First (or Second) Lanark :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 639 Posts