Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
A bit of good news for the traditionalists - Manchester City have redesigned their club crest along the lines of the popular one which they first used in the 60s and 70s...

In:

Out:

Personally, I love the new 'retro' badge. The eagle was utter crap. Being a Mancunian, I've been a City fan since I was about 6 (my first game was a 3-3 Manchester derby, at Maine Road in 1971, in which we equalised in the last minute). Had a season ticket until I moved up to Scotland 4 years ago so the last season I saw was our title-winning 2012 season and I was level with the goal when Aguero smashed that winner in against QPR. Seen the lot - the great players of the 70s, the dross of the 80s, exciting games, rubbish games, comedy own goals (Jamie Pollock stands out) and in recent years, success. Glad that there are some real football fans on here, rather than the standard bunch of glory-hunting manyoo fans.

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
I'm currently watching the England v Slovakia match match and the commentary is driving me mad. Will someone please shoot that idiot, Glenn Hoddle? His inane commentary on England games is moronic beyond belief. Apart from his annoying insistence of talking in the historic present tense (why footballers / commentators do this I have no idea), his regular use of the term 'on the front foot' and bizarre comments about tactics he consistently makes ridiculous statements that make no sense. He just made this asinine comment, "The winger's took Danny Rose on the inside foot". What an utter bellend! When you're praying for Andy Townsend's stupid remarks, rather than this useless twunt, you know there's summat wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
Well done to Manchester's only football team today. De Bruyne and Silva made Pogba look like the new Carlton Palmer. First 30 minutes was some of the best City football I've ever witnessed. Totally bossed the game and deserved winners.

Shorts Sports uniform Muscle Jersey Player

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
Should be an inetersting season in the EFL. A lot of strong teams near the top but I wouldn't look past my beloved Manchester City, that lot from Trafford and Chelsea. Can't see anyone else winning it. Arsenal are too shaky at the back, Liverpool are unpredictable and Spurs haven't strengthened to cope with injuries (what stopped them winning it last year....well that and Chelsea's invincibility).

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
I think City's defence continues to be their Achilles heel (especially when their best defender, Vincent Kompany, is so prone to injury and new defender Benjamin Mendy suffering serious injury at the beginning of the season) but I still can't see City screwing things up from here - not least because the clubs who make up the chasing pack are playing into City's hands by dropping too many points against weaker teams.
Kompany was as immense as ever, today, and we hammered Arsenal in the second-half of the League Cup Final. Nice to win one trophy, early. Now my dream is to win the League against Scum at home. City till I die. Us City fans have waited a lifetime for this. I'm loving the way we're playing under Pep.

Soccer Shorts Player Sports equipment Ball game

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
Ive read with interest the last few pages. As a Mancunian, born and bred, im obviously a City fan and have watched my team yo-yo between divisions, cultivate great talent and then have to sell it yet the fans have stayed solid. The current team, that Pep has created, play the best football i have seen since his excellent team at Barcelona. I dont give a crap about the money, the trophies, the Champions League....any of it. Im just glad ive got to see the team ive loved all my life playing the kind of football that will be remembered. it wont last forever but while it does im loving and savouring every moment.. These things change but, as a season ticket holder all my life (except for the past 6 years that ive been in Scotland) its been a pleasure to watch some superb football culminating in a glorious season last year when we were utterly magnificent and smashed so many records. I hope every football supporter gets that opportunity at least once in their life. Its what makes the game i love such a pleasure.

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
Just watched my beloved blues beat Leicester to move one win away from the title and all I can sing is "And here's to you Vincent Kompany, City Loves you more than you will know, oh-oh-oh." What a goal and kudos to the greatest captain in City's history. He even cried at the end.

Sports uniform Shorts Jersey Sports jersey World

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
Thanks, Merl, just when I thought that I couldn't feel any lower :mad:. And to think, there's still tonight. What are the odds that Coutinho puts the final nail in the coffin for this season?

Fantastic goal though and Kompany comes across as a great guy.
Sorry, Templeton. Whatever happens (City may still blow it...it's City!) it's been an amazing season and Liverpool have been immense. I cant imagine how Liverpool would feel if they lose out on the league after only losing one game all season. It's kinda cruel but it's football and wins are what matters. Some fantastic football from lots of teams over the season in all leagues. I love football. It's still the greatest game on earth whether I'm watching my school football team, non-league football, Scottish football (it's pretty dire up here) or the Premiership. Good luck to all those teams involved in the lottery of the play-offs. Been there (I was at Wembley when we came back from the dead to beat the mighty Gillingham) so I know what it's like. Oh and for those that might possibly believe that any of us City fans are glory-hunters think again. I have over 40 mates on FB who are all City fans and have been from birth. All are seasoncard holders (apart from me...I had to give mine up when I moved to Scotland...it still kills me not going) and all are Mancunians (unlike some teams that pretend to come from Manchester but play in Stretford). Incidentally, my last game at the Etihad was the 'Aguero goal'. I didnt think anything could top that but maybe Vinnie proved me wrong last night. Poor Mrs Merl hid for cover, when we scored, and protected her broken arm whilst I bounced around the settee like a demented puppy. That's football. That's what it means to me and every fan on here. I felt like that about it when I attended my first game at Maine Road (an incredible 3-3 'derby' game in which Mike Summerbee scored a last-minute equaliser), when we dropped down two divisions and got beat by Bury and I still feel the same about it.

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
Man City have had their fair share of mercenary show-ponies over the last seven or eight years but Vincent Kompany is a player who has given City 100% since the moment he signed. He's a rare credit to the game in this ridiculously cynical and greedy era, and I'm glad he appears to have got over his injury woes (which he's never seemed to whinge about). City are always a more fearsome proposition when Kevin De Bruyne is bossing the engine-room and Kompany is there to skipper the ship.
Aguero, David Silva, Kompany, Fernandinho and Zabaleta are just some of the greatest players to ever grace a City shirt, not just for their outstanding footballing ability but because they are players who have given everything, every game in that blue shirt. I would include all of them in any greatest ever City team along with the likes of Colin Bell, Dave Watson and The Goat (lol). And yes, Goater wasn't much of a player but boy did he score some important goals and a lot of them. Tbh, I'd be spoiled for choice for a worst ever City team. How do you narrow down from a selection of thousands of players (particularly the City squad of the 90s)? Ged Brannan would definitely be in that team (first on the team sheet along with Justin Fashanu and Alan Kernaghan). Of the current team De Bruyne, Sterling and Bernardo Silva have been phenomenal this season. Just wish we had a better right back than Kyle Walker! He's quick but his distribution and crossing is bloody awful. That young right back at Liverpool is a much better player.

As for Kompany, by the tears in his eyes at the final whistle, I think he'll call it a day at the end of the season. He's struggled for years with injuries and maybe he feels the time is right to go out at the top. IF we do the domestic treble I think he'll decide that it might be a fitting time to bow out. He's got a job for life as City Ambassador if he wants it. BTW, I met him years ago (a few years after he signed) at a City community event. He was as decent as he comes across. And to think Hughes thought he was a central midfielder... but Hughes is an idiot. We saw he had centre half potential from the first time he played.

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
That was some game last night. For all their lovely football it was interesting that Ajax were undone by traditional 1970s route-one football from Spurs in the second half. They simply couldn't handle such a direct style. Interesting. Great game and result and I'm genuinely chuffed for Spurs. I doubt the final will be anywhere near as interesting as both semis (I foresee a low-scoring tense affair) but whatever happens let tge best side on the night win. All I'm focused on at the moment is the final game at Brighton. Like Pep, I want that league title.

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
Wow, happy day. Well done to my hometown club on their title win today. I've seen everything with this team - the lows of life in Division 3, the mockery of manyoo fans, good teams, ***** teams but days like today make me proud. 14 wins were needed to beat a great Liverpool team and we did it. Love you, Blues.

Shorts Smile Jersey Soccer Sports jersey

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
A domestic treble. I couldnt let this moment go. As a long-suffering City fan for 54 years, I've seen it all - the lows (and there have been many) but recent years have made it all worthwhile. A glorious season capped off by an incredible display in today's FA Cup. Sorry to fans of other clubs but the years of crap and the ridiculing of a certain set of fans mean I'm celebrating big-style tonight.
As we always mockingly sing to that lot from Stretford, "This is how it feels to be City, this is how it feels to be small, you bought Phil Jones we bought Kun Aguero!"

We are not we're not really here!

Shorts Sports uniform Sports equipment Jersey Sports jersey

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
Hope your head didn't feel too rough this morning, Merl. :lol:

Were you tempted to head to Manchester for the parade?
Vice-captain David Silva is also 33 - I wonder how much longer he'll be there for. If they can hold onto him then Kevin de Bruyne will surely be the undisputed leader of the team from now on.
Unfortunately I can't get the time off for the 600 mile roundtrip home but I was at the 2012 shindig (back when I was still living in Manchester). It will be a helluva celebration. I expect City to strengthen in midfield in the summer to buy a permanent replacement for Silva. A defender, I suspect, has already been readied and all but signed and that's why Kompany left as he knew he wouldn't get the playing time he wanted and be automatic first choice. He's also leavng at the right time. He's a legend at City. His barnstormer of a goal against Leicester and captaincy of the side to the treble has ensured him immortality in Manchester. Even my red mates say they wish they'd had him. And yes, I reckon you're right about De Bruyne. His stunning 35 minute cameo yesterday (where he destroyed Watford on his own) and command of the midfield make him an obvious candidate. Foden isn't quite ready to fill Silva's boots but he'll get a lot more playing time next season and he's an incredible prospect. I expect those b*st*rds at FIFA will ban us from the CL the year after next (they hate us and we hate them - hence the heavy booing of the CL anthem - there's a huge history of their double-standards towards us). Tbh, I don't give a rat's a*se about FIFA and their CL. Rather just win the league. However, if we can, it would be nice to win it next year and watch FIFA ban the 2020 winners from the 2021 flagship tournament. Bumholes!

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
I fear our game in Madrid was extremely costly seeing as Walker and De Bruyne are injured. With a heavy league schedule, CL semi and an FA Cup semi tomorrow this isn't a good time to pick up injuries to key players but cant really complain. As us City fans sing "Like a fan of the invisible man we're not really here". ⚽🥅

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
LOL Merl. I thought you were a Scot, not a Mancunian.
Nah, Mike, I just live in Scotland. I'm a Manc, born and bred. Was a season ticket holder at City till I moved up here in 2013. My last game at the Etihad was the Aguero Goal. I knew we'd get stuffed yesterday. Stefan is a terrible keeper. Only Pep knows why he 'rested' Ederson yesterday. He only had a few shots to save at Athletico midweek. Ah well. Its only a game. 😉

1 - 20 of 28 Posts