Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,073 Posts
The real world of composing for media and Pop has a different view on the virtual orchestra SA. I know there are serious composers who 'mock-up' too, if only via a music notation programme and a good sample set - something like NotePerformer, although that does have an AI functionality. In the right hands, one can get a good feel for what's on the manuscript if the music is suitable.

This thread isn't about AI for composing btw. If it was, I too would be less in favour.
I may have misunderstood the thread subject. Is it about the library of orchestral samples, for use with notation software?

The Vienna Symphonic Library as well as Garritan Personal Orchestra I am familiar with. They are useful, mainly for film scoring, but I oppose the idea of replacing a real orchestra.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I may have misunderstood the thread subject. Is it about the library of orchestral samples, for use with notation software?

The Vienna Symphonic Library as well as Garritan Personal Orchestra I am familiar with. They are useful, mainly for film scoring, but I oppose the idea of replacing a real orchestra.
Yes, it's about samples but not just for use with notation software but also within a DAW. Any musician will or rather should, deplore samples replacing an orchestra in the workplace, but unfortunately musicians aren't often in charge of budgets, nor are they in charge of dispensing discerning ears to those that pay for music commissions.

·
Registered
12,073 Posts
Yes, it's about samples but not just for use with notation software but also within a DAW. Any musician will or rather should, deplore samples replacing an orchestra in the workplace, but unfortunately musicians aren't often in charge of budgets, nor are they in charge of dispensing discerning ears to those that pay for music commissions.
I thought they were talking about those Zoom concerts. I understand why they occurred but they made me sad.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I seriously have been considering if AI interference had something to do with the recent musical decay since 2008, popular music globally has been so much disfigured beyond recognition, something is missing of it compared to all earlier musical productions. If harm had been done onto pop music by AI, then when comes to classical music a totally new set ethic should be expected. Maybe not a bad idea altogather but it needs to stay complementary to the actual orchestra at the end not trying to usurp the chances for living artists in actual developments.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.