Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been reading various threads on this forum and it seems that heavy metal is held in little regard, yet I notice Hip Hop seems to be held in high regard. I find this interesting that such bands that appeal to me within the heavy metal spectrum such as Lost Horizon, Opeth or the heavily classically influenced Nightwish and Rhapsody of Fire, would be seen as some kind of inferior music when placed against Hip Hop. I used to exclusively listen to Hip Hop in my teens, then, I hate to say it, I somewhat grew out of it and gravitated towards power metal, which then actually got in to other genres of heavy metal, as well as classical music itself.

So my question is as this thread is titled, is there very little appreciation out there for metal bands or have people just not explored the heavy metal genre and its sub genres in any great depth?

G

·
*groan*

There are actually several people on here who enjoy heavy metal. The problem with the threads you may have seen is when people have tried to make metal something that it wasn't - using tortured logic to claim that metal is actually the not so distant relative of classical music.

Look, it is a classical music forum. For whatever reason, people have congregated here to discuss their appreciation of classical music. While people frequently enjoy multiple genres of music, it stands to reason that the majority of people on here have a better appreciation of classical music than the average music listener. Is that directly related to a lower estimation of metal? I don't know. Personally, I can't stand metal or hip hop.

G

·
I drank deeply from this chalice from about 1970. Just got out of my car; on my CD player - Budgie.
But I can tell it's not western art music! :tiphat:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
ive been reading various threads on this forum and it seems that heavy metal is held in little regard, yet I notice Hip Hop seems to be held in high regard.
Not at these forums, it isn't. It is routinely scorned. The current hip-hop thread is about 90% albertfallickwang.

I like hip hop, but not metal, unless you go back to the days when Hendrix and Zeppelin were called metal.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Can't stand hip hop. And power metal is pretty good. Not my favorite.
At some point in my teens I listened to power metal so much that it was almost sick. If something didn't have near constant double bass drum beat, 160+ bpm tempo, high & clean male voice and fast soloing, it was almost worthless to me.

G

·
At some point in my teens I listened to power metal so much that it was almost sick. If something didn't have near constand double bass drum beat, 160+ bpm tempo, high & clean male voice and fast soloing, it was almost worthless to me.
Thank you for your courageous honesty. :p

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Not at these forums, it isn't. It is routinely scorned. The current hip-hop thread is about 90% albertfallickwang.

I like hip hop, but not metal, unless you go back to the days when Hendrix and Zeppelin were called metal.
GreenMamba you are awesome!

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Never was into heavy metal unless bands like Deep Purple were considered heavy metal. But here is a heavy metal band I like a lot:

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
This is the kind of stuff I used to listen to. Unusually has a female vocalist but sounds still very typical for the genre. Doesn't even really sound much like metal, now does it?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
It can't be any more tragic than my own misdemeanours!! Judas Priest anyone???
One of the few truly metal bands I ever liked, but even then I'm keener on the older stuff - the four albums from Sad Wings of Destiny to Killing Machine. Pity the production on all four of them was dire.

Reactions: Judas Priest Fan
G

·
One of the few truly metal bands I ever liked, but even then I'm keener on the older stuff - the four albums from Sad Wings of Destiny to Killing Machine. Pity the production on all four of them was dire.
It was. I listened to Sad Wings recently on Spotify; very weedy sound!

It was the early stuff I liked too; the first time I saw them was on the Sin After Sin tour.

Hey, Rob Halford's gay. Who'd have thought it? :lol:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have a lot of past with heavy metal... I still have 500+ records. I don't listen to it anymore but I have fond memories and would never part from the records. I used to have very long hair, wear leather pants and jacket and a denim vest with patches. Also sometimes long chains and make-up. I really lived the lifestyle for years.

Reactions: Judas Priest Fan

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
heavy metal: no
symphonic metal: YES!

Edit: lmao! the internet thinks she is a mezzo. how could anyone mistake such a bright, soubrette/coloratura soprano voice for a mezzo :lol: (on second thought, maybe they just have her confused with the group's main singer, who is a contralto/dramatic mezzo).

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
ive been reading various threads on this forum and it seems that heavy metal is held in little regard, yet I notice Hip Hop seems to be held in high regard. I find this interesting that such bands that appeal to me within the heavy metal spectrum such as Lost Horizon, Opeth or the heavily classically influenced Nightwish and Rhapsody of Fire, would be seen as some kind of inferior music when placed against Hip Hop. I used to exclusively listen to Hip Hop in my teens, then, I hate to say it, I somewhat grew out of it and gravitated towards power metal, which then actually got in to other genres of heavy metal, as well as classical music itself.

So my question is as this thread is titled, is there very little appreciation out there for metal bands or have people just not explored the heavy metal genre and its sub genres in any great depth?
I started my music listening when I was young with early metal (Sabbath, Purple, Sir Lord Baltimore, Uriah Heep, etc).

As soon as I discovered prog (King Crimson, YES, PFM, National Health, Henry Cow, Magma, etc) , I found metal very uninteresting. It just couldn't hold up to the musicianship, creativity, complexity, beauty, emotionalism, etc of prog.

Listening to prog lead me classical (mostly 20th century, avant-garde, 21st century).

Sometime around the early 90's, someone mentioned bands in the prog-metal genre (Dream Theater, Fates Warning, etc). I immediately became a fan. Not so much a fan of DT anymore, as they sound a little trite to me now (but there's no questioning their musicianship), but there are so many other bands in the prog-metal, tech-metal, and avant-metal genres that I love.

Pain of Salvation, Tesseract, Spiral Architect, The Contortionist, uneXpect, Sleepytime Gorilla Musem, Soen, Haken, Cynic, Opeth, Cynthesis just to name a few.

I do not like power-metal, symphonic-metal (sounds pretty much like standard metal with synth based strings added), and others.

I would say that metal constitutes about 20% of my listening, behind prog, classical, jazz.

So, all this is a long winded way of saying that I do appreciate metal, but only a limited number of genres.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts