Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
It's funny how one eventually comes around to music once abhorred but I've been listening some different metal bands since last summer. Portnoy era Dream Theater, Cathedral, a bit of Megadeth, and I just discovered the Russian band, Abysskvlt. I think I'm basically a doomer. I don't like the fast and furious stuff. I love Cathedral.

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
It's funny how one eventually comes around to music once abhorred but I've been listening some different metal bands since last summer. Portnoy era Dream Theater, Cathedral, a bit of Megadeth, and I just discovered the Russian band, Abysskvlt. I think I'm basically a doomer. I don't like the fast and furious stuff. I have no taste for the fast drumming or speedy guitar solos which is why I can't totally warm up to DT. But they do have some great songs when they're not wanking away. I love heavy riffs and good vocal melodies. I love Cathedral.

Reactions: SearsPoncho

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
Complexity without great songs doesn't cut it for me. A band like Haken can play great but the songs are okay. A band that deserves more exposure is District 97. Those kids are amazing! They write great songs with killer riffs and plenty of complexity to satisfy the prog nerds. And their lead singer is great. And she's beautiful as well.

Reactions: SearsPoncho

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
I picked up Eternal Blue by Spiritbox. They combine pop vocal melodies with metal riffs.

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
Dream Theater definitely has their flaws. And the overemphasis on the technical is one of them. The soloing by Petrucci and Rudess is my least favorite aspect unless they are playing a slower tune. But I like the riffs and the songs. At least five or six albums worth. I mainly listen to the live stuff because their studio albums are too long and I like only half the songs.

I have no interest in the neo classical metal popularized by Yngwie in the 80s. I like heavy riffs and good vocal melodies. I'm not into the speedy solos. I like guitarists who phrase and bend strings.

Reactions: eljr
1 - 8 of 8 Posts