Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts
G

·
It was. I listened to Sad Wings recently on Spotify; very weedy sound!

It was the early stuff I liked too; the first time I saw them was on the Sin After Sin tour.

Hey, Rob Halford's gay. Who'd have thought it? :lol:
The signs were pretty plain there to see - he was one of the first to pioneer the leather and chains attire in metal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like the most idiosyncratic metal bands. Such a shame the lyrics are almost always pretty damn awful.

Reactions: SixFootScowl

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Reactions: Judas Priest Fan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Except Black Sabbath, most of the metal i like is from the thrash sub-genre. Slayer is my favorite metal band. I also enjoy records by Vio-lence, Nuclear Assault, Metallica, Anthrax,Strapping Young Lad...

·
Registered
144 Posts
From what I have observed most veterans here (and even users in general) don't gravitate towards Metal (and Hip Hops fares little better for that matter).

I have seen some Tool/ Radiohead appreciation for what's it's worth. There's always Metal forums though :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bumping this old thread to state that here stands another huge heavy metal fan. It's actually my favorite genre along with Jazz and Classical. I specially enjoy its extremest forms such as black, death and thrash metal, specially when infused with prog tendencies. I actually do find many similarities between metal and classical music. Luc Lemay, the mastermind behind Gorguts, one of my favorite metal acts, has actually studied classical music composition and released a piece of his own in the album 'Colored Sands' called "The Battle of Chamdo"
Other artists such as Deathspell Omega have much influence from classical music and their compositions are quite complex and intricate. I get why many people can't enjoy metal because I when I was very young I used to think it was senseless noise but somehow I managed to grasp that behind that curtain of chaotic electric guitars and chaos there are many complex melodies and awesome movements to be found. I now enjoy metal every day. It's also a great musical form to channel certain negative thoughts and/or dark feelings

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Bumping this old thread to state that here stands another huge heavy metal fan. It's actually my favorite genre along with Jazz and Classical. I specially enjoy its extremest forms such as black, death and thrash metal, specially when infused with prog tendencies. I actually do find many similarities between metal and classical music. Luc Lemay, the mastermind behind Gorguts, one of my favorite metal acts, has actually studied classical music composition and released a piece of his own in the album 'Colored Sands' called "The Battle of Chamdo"
Other artists such as Deathspell Omega have much influence from classical music and their compositions are quite complex and intricate. I get why many people can't enjoy metal because I when I was very young I used to think it was senseless noise but somehow I managed to grasp that behind that curtain of chaotic electric guitars and chaos there are many complex melodies and awesome movements to be found. I now enjoy metal every day. It's also a great musical form to channel certain negative thoughts and/or dark feelings
I mentioned exactly The battle of Chamdo as probably the best example I can think of of metal with classical influences in a thread about that argument. :)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I'm a part-time metalhead! You are not alone :) I liked metal since the early 80s and listen to it almost every day. Always something to discover. It took me a long time to dare listen to Mayhem and also actually Metallica back in 85 or so. So extreme (for me at the time)...I was used to Ozzy, Maiden, Def Leppard and Motörhead in the beginning, then slowly went more extreme. Favorite bands are Napalm Death and Satyricon, favorite guitar hero is Randy Rhoads, Dimebag and maybe Rune Eriksen ("Blasphemer" from Mayhem). I found out that Dimebag Darrell copied Randy Rhoads and Rhoads copied Brian May of Queen. Early Queen is kind of metal and my first love in rock music after being strictly classical as a boy. Queen is also kind of classical too!

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
In a late response to the OP I’ve always been partial to Cobalt and Titanium but Nickel and Manganese are ok too!;)

Reactions: Malx

·
Registered
107 Posts
As my name suggests, I am a fan of Heavy Metal ;)

But since discovering Classical Music a few years ago, I almost never listen to Metal any more. I just don´t have the energy or aggression in me now that I´m getting older (I´m 56).

Many Metal songs that I like(d) just seem so simple now in comparison to Classical music compositions. I still like Metal, but I just prefer Classical these days. What sounded really killer on an E guitar a few years ago, is just laughably easy compared to many violin pieces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the Classical influence on Metal can be better seen when we hear piano covers of metal songs. Some of these bands even claimed being influenced by Stravinsky, Mahler and Bach among others.
Some examples from a few of my fav bands:

Dissection: Where Dead Angels Lie
Thy Darkened Shade: Revival Through Arcane Sins
Ulcerate: Extinguished Light
Abigor: Totschläger (A Saintslayer's Songbook) (Full album)
And my absolute fav band, Deathspell Omega: Kénôse (Full Album)
With drums: The Repellent Scars of Abandon and Election
The Fires of Frustration

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can totally understand that. Metal is a very intense form of music and demands a lot of energy. What I can't agree with is the complexity. There is some really complex metal out there. It's more extended in extreme genres like Death Metal. Actually there is a genre called Technical Death Metal where you can find music so complex that even classical composers would be impressed =).
An example: First Fragment and they are very influenced by classical music La Veuve (only guitar and bass)

Then you have more brutal approaches, like Defeated Sanity's (btw this band's drummer is one of the very best in the game and his father was a very famous Jazz musician, and he actually played in the band a few years before dying). Imposed Corporeal Inhabitation

And then of course you have the symphonic, epic approach of power metal, whose more know exponent is Rhapsody (their most famous guitar player, Luca Turilli is very passionate about classical music and uses a very similar approach to his compositions and playing style): Dark Fate of Atlantis

Those three examples proof that metal can get really complex when it comes to playing skills. I know guitar players that have been playing for over 20 years that struggle to play some of that stuff.

·
Registered
696 Posts
As my name suggests, I am a fan of Heavy Metal ;)

But since discovering Classical Music a few years ago, I almost never listen to Metal any more. I just don´t have the energy or aggression in me now that I´m getting older (I´m 56).

Many Metal songs that I like(d) just seem so simple now in comparison to Classical music compositions. I still like Metal, but I just prefer Classical these days. What sounded really killer on an E guitar a few years ago, is just laughably easy compared to many violin pieces.
I don't even draw the comparison in the first place. The respective complexity (or simplicity) of classical and metal inhabit different realms and serve different functions for me.

Metal can range from being simplistic but effective (like I don't think of Judas Priest as being a very cerebral band, mostly focused on just rocking out and they do it well) to more complex arrangements like Maiden or a lot of death metal.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Glad to see some love for Gorguts on here! :)

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
It's funny how one eventually comes around to music once abhorred but I've been listening some different metal bands since last summer. Portnoy era Dream Theater, Cathedral, a bit of Megadeth, and I just discovered the Russian band, Abysskvlt. I think I'm basically a doomer. I don't like the fast and furious stuff. I love Cathedral.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts