Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've started to explore Salieri's operas. So far, I have heard:

La scuola de' gelosi: The Harmonia Mundi recording is great. What a charming work.

La grotta di Trofonio: The Ambroisie recording conducted by Christophe Rousset is wonderful.

Falstaff: I got the recording with the Salieri Chamber Orchestra and Chorus, after buying the Chandos one. The Salieri Chamber Orchestra one is a lot better. Excellent recording, and this is a very good work. I can see the influence Mozart's Le nozze di Figaro had on Salieri when he composed this. Definitely my favorite of the three.

I have purchased the Les Danaides, but have yet to listen to it, because I can't get past the above three.

I hope we see more good recording companies and singers/conductors put out more of Salieri's output, especially Harmonia Mundi.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The only Salieri opera I know is Les Danaïdes, which is terrific.

Bold and imaginative, from the stormy, turbulent, string-heavy overture to the tableau of the Danaides in Hell. The young Berlioz was blown away, and one can hear echoes of the final scene in La damnation de Faust. In between, there are massive choruses, great arias for the soprano, and a handful for her father and her lover.

If this is mediocrity, let's have more of it.

I wrote it up here: https://operascribe.com/2018/03/11/56-les-danaides-antonio-salieri/

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only Salieri opera I know is Les Danaïdes, which is terrific.

Bold and imaginative, from the stormy, turbulent, string-heavy overture to the tableau of the Danaides in Hell. The young Berlioz was blown away, and one can hear echoes of the final scene in La damnation de Faust. In between, there are massive choruses, great arias for the soprano, and a handful for her father and her lover.

If this is mediocrity, let's have more of it.

I wrote it up here: https://operascribe.com/2018/03/11/56-les-danaides-antonio-salieri/
Dude. I LOVE your website.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
His music is good, but classical music listeners can't forgive him for killing Mozart.
Arrrrghl! I've met people who honestly think this. I was at the first Australian performance of a newly discovered Mozart and Salieri collaboration back in 2016. One old dear was astonished. Weren't they enemies? Wasn't Salieri a "bad" composer, both musically and morally?

Salieri was a mediocre composer who poisoned Mozart. That's one of the things everybody "knows". Thanks, Mr Shaffer!

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
Arrrrghl! I've met people who honestly think this. I was at the first Australian performance of a newly discovered Mozart and Salieri collaboration back in 2016. One old dear was astonished. Weren't they enemies? Wasn't Salieri a "bad" composer, both musically and morally?

Salieri was a mediocre composer who poisoned Mozart. That's one of the things everybody "knows". Thanks, Mr Shaffer!
Please don't include us all in on being fooled by Schaffer's ridiculous caricatures. Any more than we are fooled by the lies about Queen Ann in latest Oscar-winning tripe, The Favourite.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please don't include us all in on being fooled by Schaffer's ridiculous caricatures. Any more than we are fooled by the lies about Queen Ann in latest Oscar-winning tripe, The Favourite.
Agreed. I love Amadeus for what it did for Mozart's music, but good Lord was it a farce.

And David, she's one of my most favorites - Queen Anne, Anne with an e. Get it right :) I haven't seen that movie yet, so would be interested in some of the lies.

·
Registered
411 Posts
His music is good, but classical music listeners can't forgive him for killing Mozart.
Dude--Salieri did not kill Mozart. "Salieri killing Mozart" was a theory proposed by someone saying that he heard of another guy saying another guy said he read a report on Mozart's death written by an unknown contemporary of Mozart... So it is not needed to explain how incredulous the accusation of Mozart's death on Salieri was. Salieri not as genius as Mozart for sure, but that is not the reason to dislike his compositions. I just listened to some of his symphonies and they are absolutely not bad. At least if I were Joseph II of the Holy Roman Empire, I would not resist Salieri's music and probably hire him as the court composer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts