Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I bought a CD with some works of Mendelssohn...and I wondered if I got my moneys worth?:confused: This will be my first time listening to Mendelssohn:eek:
These are the pieces on the CD:
~Violin Concerto in E Minor, OP.64(I might like this since Im a violinist...)
~A Midsummer's Night's Dream,OP.61, Incidental Music(Excerpts)
~OVERTURE-Ruy Blas,OP.95
~OVERTURE-The Hebrides,OP.26 "Fingal's Cave"

Thanks!:D

4/4player

Reactions: Polyphemus

·
Registered
31 Posts
oh,yes you will adore felix!

:angry: Dear 4/4 player, As soon as you hear his violin concerto,you will feel like you already know the piece.All 3 movements are lyrical and sublime and will render the listener a joyfull experience.His midsommer work,composed i believe at the age of 17 is a great funky classical piece.He wrote additional pieces of music to this some years later which accompany this work successfully.His cave suite is more descriptive in nature, describing the landscape and sea around the coast of 'wee' scotland.The other work I havn't heard. All in all ,I love felixes music, a throu link from ludwig to brahms and wagner. Happy listening!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your feedback, 3planetsounds and Lynx!,

I paid only $7 American Dollars for the CD...
The violin Concerto is absolutely fabulous! It does feel like a piece I've heard before but never knew(kinda like De'Ja Vu!,lol).....I also like the Overture to the Midsummer's Night's Dream, It sounds so playful, and colorful!...You guys have any other work suggestions I should listen to of Mendelssohn, So that I can pick up a CD of those songs the next time I go to the Bookstore?=)

thank you very much!,
4/4player

·
Registered
31 Posts
You asked for more suggestions on felix,try his 3rd and 4th symphonies;called the 'Scotish' and the 'Italian' respectivley.You defientley will of heard the first movement of the Italian before.my favourate is the scottish one.The final part of the last movement was such an eye opener when I first heard it!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Felix Mendelssohn was one of Queen Victoria's favourite composers. In case anyone (younger members from USA?) aren't too sure who she was, she was the reigning Monarch of Great Britain from 1837-1901 (longest reigning monarch in our history). It's rather like having Bush as President for the next 58 years!

This was a period in history when Britain really was Great, having the biggest empire the world has ever seen. The USA was a virtual dot on the map, and in Hawaii they were still throwing spears (only joking, there 4/4; get on with that clarinet practice, btw).

Anyway, in addition to all the other excellent recommendations above, I must say I like Mendelssohn's Symphony 5 "Reformation". I heard a movement of this from a John Eliot Gardiner recording and it sounded great, so that's on my shopping list. None of his recordings is cheap, but they're usually very good.

Topaz

·
Registered
237 Posts
Topaz: because of Victoria's time as a queen, the fat and *****'s adict of Edward
last so few years. He was a mature man at coronation. And I think that the time of
that traitor of Edward VIII was the shortest?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.