Classical Music Forum banner
4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Albert7 
#1 ·
Is it measurably different from the sound of an orchestra warming up while a tone-deaf soprano rehearses off-key?

#2 ·
It can be difficult to listen to. But if used at the right dramatic moment, it's like a good chef adding some spice to the recipe. They are very limited few atonal operas that work, Berg's Wozzeck is the best example where it does well, for an atonal opera.

#4 ·
Sorry but I am atonal deaf so the soprano can be off-key and I wouldn't know any better.

#6 ·
Would you classify some of the works of Poul Ruders that way? If so, I'm sort of with you, Couchie. Atonal works can get tedious and distracting at times. I somewhat get what the composer is trying to accomplish, but I also feel like I'm being antagonized.

#10 ·
Atonal sound that rarely occurs in a concert/aria may be nice. But pure atonal music screeches my delicate ears:lol:
Actually I guess I mostly try to avoid it, to prevent brain damage.
People think that if they invent strange things can be called composers or painters.
I like Wagner's music, but I don't like his opera as I find it boring.

#11 ·
I have hardcore ears so I can hear anything happily.

Gimme a tin can and drumsticks with a soprano and I'm still in bliss. I am not picky at all.

Scarier for me is my dad telling me of the secret chains and whips that Puccini kept in his basement :eek:. Sounds like Madame Butterfly fifty shades of Puccini here.

Reactions: arpeggio
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.