Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Ugh, I hate these threads. Going to have to make room on my shelf now for Queyras. Maybe Weilerstein as well.

My top 2 remain Casals (seamless spontaneity) and Fournier (authoritative artistry), but these recent recordings sound as if the cello is right in your living room. Queyras in particular is a consummate artist whose 2007 recording deserves all its accolades. Weilerstein plays with warm tone and beautiful sensitivity. Wispelwey is different, more clipped. Not my favorite, but interesting.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
The Rostropovich seems unpopular here, but I listened to it just now and was reminded why I originally liked it. It’s kind of like a Klemperer version of the cello suites. He’s not interested in being interpretive or precious any way. It’s very elemental, and with his warm, deep tone casts quite a spell.

I remember I first played the Rosty while working at Tower Records in the 90s, and promptly bought it while selling away the Schiff, which had always left me a little cold.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Gendron tended to be overshadowed in his era by Fournier, Tortelier, and Starker, but it is really quite a spell-binding set. He played with immaculate tone and an assertively musical personality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts