Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
By the time these fools have finished there will be hardly anyone left. Still, we can't all be as perfect as these self-appointed arbiters of ethics, can we? :sleep:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I doubt that anyone today who held investments even of the most modest (pension plans whatever) kind is less guilty of slave trade or moral equivalents (i.e. ignorantly supporting or profiting from extremely unjust economic relations) than e.g. "slavetrader" Handel (who was very generous in his time both towards charity institutions and his household servants in his will).
It's good that it's tongue in cheek but to graciously grant that the music is great but Debussy or Purcell should be "wanted" for the proclaimed sins is still ridiculous and hypocritical, even in jest. The moral outrage about the past is one thing that is a particularly cheap and hypocritical case of "the mote in your brothers eye vs. the beam in your own."

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
There are too many terrible things happening in the world for me to get upset about a slightly humorous marketing ploy. And if you want a more serious take on it it is a little interesting to think about how times have changed. It would have been interesting to see some composers from the same times who had not fallen foul of our 21st century morals - if there were any - as that might have given some perspective.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
I guess you can call it an interesting method of curatorship, but I don't see much of a point in getting wound up about it.

I know about Gesualdo, but virtually everyone here does.

I don't get the charges against Handel, and I've read a biography on him. If anything, his contributions to charity would tip the scale of some ethical barometer in a favourable direction.

I have an idea of the label attached to Debussy. He supported the outcome of the Dreyfus case, where a Jewish officer was found guilty but later had his name cleared. The case is still referred to when we speak of judicial bias and miscarriage of justice. I remember reading that Debussy just went along with others in the artistic community who supported the decision. I think he signed an open letter of some sort. It might say more about Debussy's character than political ideology. In terms of his personality, he favoured compromise. Even though he didn't like the musical establishment, he wasn't one to confront it, even to the point of not defending attacks on his music.

As to Purcell, I remember something vague to do with how he treated his wife, but nothing more.

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
Looking at their site they are taking a tongue in cheek approach and recognising that the music involved is great. It is marketing.
In that case I recant. Trouble is, I find it increasingly difficult to discern between what is satire and what isn't these days.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
The presentation reminded me a bit of this, the poster to the 1998 movie Elizabeth.

I forgot to say, maybe Wagner was too cliche to include in the Ghent lineup?

·
Registered
625 Posts
It is incredible and endemic to our age that such people even given house room. Amazing to me that such people word themselves into a lather about a statue of a person who lived hundreds of years ago and you might have had a small connection with the slave trade while ignoring the vast injustices of the world today. Such virtue signalling no doubt makes them feel righteous but it does not work with anyone who has any form of reasoning. It was interesting that when I made some investments, I did enquire about so-called ‘ethical investments’ but was told that the world of investments was so complicated and linked that such pure ’unstained’ investments were well nigh impossible. The best thing to do is to have your investments over a wide area and not to knowingly invest in something morally reprehensible. The problem is with these clowns who organise these virtue signalling exercises is they themselves via simple means of turning their cell phones on break their own rules

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hahahaha ! Well all that it shows is that, really, all our greatest geniuses were not woke. An apolitical beautiful way to demonstrate wokeness’s mediocrity.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I guess you can call it an interesting method of curatorship, but I don't see much of a point in getting wound up about it.

I know about Gesualdo, but virtually everyone here does.

I don't get the charges against Handel, and I've read a biography on him. If anything, his contributions to charity would tip the scale of some ethical barometer in a favourable direction.

I have an idea of the label attached to Debussy. He supported the outcome of the Dreyfus case, where a Jewish officer was found guilty but later had his name cleared. The case is still referred to when we speak of judicial bias and miscarriage of justice. I remember reading that Debussy just went along with others in the artistic community who supported the decision. I think he signed an open letter of some sort. It might say more about Debussy's character than political ideology. In terms of his personality, he favoured compromise. Even though he didn't like the musical establishment, he wasn't one to confront it, even to the point of not defending attacks on his music.

As to Purcell, I remember something vague to do with how he treated his wife, but nothing more.
For your info, Dreyfus was actually guilty as the more recent researches have found (notably those of Adrien Abauzit and others).
It’s great that there was a time when Artists were not bought and sold by the Bankers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It is incredible and endemic to our age that such people even given house room. Amazing to me that such people word themselves into a lather about a statue of a person who lived hundreds of years ago and you might have had a small connection with the slave trade while ignoring the vast injustices of the world today. Such virtue signalling no doubt makes them feel righteous but it does not work with anyone who has any form of reasoning. It was interesting that when I made some investments, I did enquire about so-called ‘ethical investments’ but was told that the world of investments was so complicated and linked that such pure ’unstained’ investments were well nigh impossible. The best thing to do is to have your investments over a wide area and not to knowingly invest in something morally reprehensible. The problem is with these clowns who organise these virtue signalling exercises is they themselves via simple means of turning their cell phones on break their own rules
You missed the point (yet again).
They’re showing that WE ARE stupid, contrary to the pillars of Western Civilization, who were men of character.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Hey, chill! Listen to some music and then feel free to talk about it. The far right have done a number on you and you need to calm down. Then you might read the thread and visit the linked site about these concerts. I don't come here for pure political spleen which no one could reply to without breaking the forum rules.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
For your info, Dreyfus was actually guilty as the more recent researches have found (notably those of Adrien Abauzit and others).

I haven't heard of Abauzit, but Dreyfus was exonorated. Its not easy to win an appeal like that, many had invested their careers in a landmark case, and where proven wrong (at least in terms of judicial process). Someone had egg on their face.

It’s great that there was a time when Artists were not bought and sold by the Bankers.
Its got nothing to do with that. Debussy wasn't being political, he just went with the flow, same as when he did later when he made anti-German statements during World War I.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I haven't heard of Abauzit, but Dreyfus was exonorated. Its not easy to win an appeal like that, many had invested their careers in a landmark case, and where proven wrong (at least in terms of judicial process). Someone had egg on their face.

Its got nothing to do with that. Debussy wasn't being political, he just went with the flow, same as when he did later when he made anti-German statements during World War I.
”going with the flow”, correct. A flow that used to produce universal geniuses.
OJ Simpson was exonorated too.
Happy listening to music !

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
”going with the flow”, correct. A flow that used to produce universal geniuses.
OJ Simpson was exonorated too.
Happy listening to music !
The two aren't really linked. Anti semitism was obviously widespread in Europe at the time. Its not logical to say that societal values or norms of that kind produced geniuses. It would be more logical to say that prejudice and discrimination caused injustice for people like Dreyfus.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The two aren't really linked. Anti semitism was obviously widespread in Europe at the time. Its not logical to say that societal values or norms of that kind produced geniuses. It would be more logical to say that prejudice and discrimination caused injustice for people like Dreyfus.
It’s not a question of what is logical but what is true. Facts are not logical, Dreyfus was guilty and Western Civilization was more creative when it wasn’t under the influence of Cultural Marxism.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I think this would've been more interesting if it was a festival for composers of bad music. One thing classical music needs is more art that's loved the way many people love Wiseau's The Room.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
^ The Nazis held an exhibition of banned art, art that they claimed was degenerate and ugly. They thought they were showing people how bad much art had become but it is believed that many attended the exhibition to enjoy the art. Who would choose the bad music and certify it as bad?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The nature of repitoire makes it difficult unfortunately. Apart from a handful of operas, I can't think of much classical music that's famous for being considered bad in the way that a lot of film is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts