Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Sibelius, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy
1,693 Posts
a me-too, black lives matter & cancel-culture perspective.
What's one of those?

I'm afraid my Dutch isn't up to much, so I've not really much idea what's going on here, wanted posters aside.

It's easy enough to find out about Handel and the slave trade.

·
Registered
625 Posts
What's one of those?

I'm afraid my Dutch isn't up to much, so I've not really much idea what's going on here, wanted posters aside.

It's easy enough to find out about Handel and the slave trade.

I just wonder how much people who reckon they care about this sort of thing actually care about the estimated 400 million people who are in forced labour in the world today. I am always struck by the inconsistency of musical and academic institutions who will condemn people of history and then accept money from countries which practice gross violations of human rights (including the practice of virtual slavery) today. I know condemning Mr Handel makes good virtue signalling but don’t you think we ought to make sure our own house is put in order first?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I just wonder how much people who reckon they care about this sort of thing actually care about the estimated 400 million people who are in forced labour in the world today. I am always struck by the inconsistency of musical and academic institutions who will condemn people of history and then accept money from countries which practice gross violations of human rights (including the practice of virtual slavery) today. I know condemning Mr Handel makes good virtue signalling but don’t you think we ought to make sure our own house is put in order first?
What makes you think that the Music centre "de Bijloke" in Ghent and the RAM aren't putting their houses in order?

Why is "condemning Mr Handel" only "virtue signalling" (if that is, in fact, what is happening here)?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Incidentally, the reporting of what the Royal Academy of Music is doing in two UK newspapers was challenged by the RAM as follows:

"In response to articles published by The Telegraph on Sunday 23 May, and the Times today, the Academy has issued the following statement:

There are no plans to dispose of instruments from the Academy’s collections. The reviews we will be undertaking are concerned solely with the storage of collections onsite and how we interpret items in our collections.

We will not be disposing of musical instruments based on their provenance or associations. Additionally, the Telegraph article stated that we hold a 'vast collection of manuscripts by the composer Handel' - we do not, in fact, own any original manuscripts by Handel.

The Academy has always trained its students for the evolving professional environments of being a musician. It is vital that they understand the cultural, political and socio-economic forces that have shaped musical traditions, as well as the issues that are shaping it in the present, such as the pandemic and questions around equality, diversity and inclusion. This training includes giving voice to figures who have previously been silenced or marginalised, as well as understanding the contexts in which iconic figures such as Handel and Mozart worked. We have not removed Handel, or any other composer, from the syllabus.

For us, inclusion means widening the net, not cancelling historical figures and artefacts."

I notice that The Telegraph can't get its facts right.

·
Registered
625 Posts
What makes you think that the Music centre "de Bijloke" in Ghent and the RAM aren't putting their houses in order?

Why is "condemning Mr Handel" only "virtue signalling" (if that is, in fact, what is happening here)?
I assume the good folks at Ghent are looking very hard at their own investments as Mr Handel comes under the microscope? I also assume those who condemn GFH so loudly are financially supporting efforts to end slavery today.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts