Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Glazunov, Tchaikovsky, Myaskovsky, Rachmaninoff, Bruckner, Massenet, Schumann, Wagner, Strauss, Bax.
2,180 Posts
Try:
  • Verdi: Rigoletto
  • Verdi: Otello
  • Puccini: Madama Butterfly
  • Ponchelli: La Gioconda
  • Glinka: Ruslan and Ludmilla
  • Dargomyzhsky: Rusalka
  • Tchaikovsky: Cherevichki (The Little Slippers)
  • Lalo: Le Roi d'Ys
  • Chausson: Le roi Arthus (King Arthur)
  • Massenet: Esclarmonde
Also well worth considering:
  • Merikanto: Juha
  • Pylkkanen: Mare & Her Son
  • Nielsen: Maskarade
  • Poulenc: La voix humaine (The Human Voice)
  • Ravel: L'enfant et les sortilèges (The Child and the Spells)
  • Janacek: The Cunning Little Vixen
  • Rimsky-Korsakov: The Golden Cockerel
  • Rubinstein: The Demon
  • Lysenko: Taras Bulba
  • Hanson: Merry Mount

·
Registered
Glazunov, Tchaikovsky, Myaskovsky, Rachmaninoff, Bruckner, Massenet, Schumann, Wagner, Strauss, Bax.
2,180 Posts
Thank you for this list. In the first group, I already own the first five operas listed, and was initially considering adding Tchaikovsky's Cherevichki to the mix. I think there's a DVD of the Lalo opera, and I'll try and locate the other two, or else stream recordings. (I have ''The Rough Guide To Opera'' to help with CD recommendations). In the second list, the only opera I own is Janacek's The Cunning Little Vixen. Thank you for your help.
You're welcome.
(y)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Any ideas for the best Rigoletto on DVD/Bluray that stays away from nudity, and has someone other than Leo Nucci in the title role? I find that he shouts too much at times. NOTE: I already have the Metropolitan Opera peoduction from 1977 with Cornell MacNeil in the title role, and Placido Domingo as the Duke.
How about this one?
Poster Music Font Entertainment Performing arts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Thanks. I'm also considering a new Otello and have chosen the Royal Opera House one with Placido Domingo, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, and Sergei Leiferkus in the principal roles. Sir Georg Solti conducts in the pit.
That should suffice. The only recording I have is the Decca one with Karajan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts