Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for bass & contralto duets. I know for sure there are some.
Preferably love duets, but not necessarlily. There are basses wooing contraltos, such as Achilla in Handel's Julio Cesare (or Polifemo wooing Galatea in Aci, Galatea e Polifemo). But they hardly get to sing together. The only bass & contralto love duet that I can remember is one of Sir Marmaduke and Lady Sangazure from Sullivan's Sorcerer ("welcome, joy").
The only condition is that a contralto should be playing a female character (i.e. not a trouser role).
Recitatives are also fine, not only arias.
Any style/period is ok.
Not necessarlily love duet, could be anything.
And in case it's hard to find bass & contralto duets, let's also include bass-baritone and mezzo duets.
Thanks.

· Registered
527 Posts
Preferably love duets, but not necessarlily. There are basses wooing contraltos, such as Achilla in Handel's Julio Cesare (or Polifemo wooing Galatea in Aci, Galatea e Polifemo). But they hardly get to sing together. The only bass & contralto love duet that I can remember is one of Sir Marmaduke and Lady Sangazure from Sullivan's Sorcerer ("welcome, joy").
The only condition is that a contralto should be playing a female character (i.e. not a trouser role).
Any style/period is ok.
And in case it's hard to find bass & contralto duets, let's also include bass-baritone and mezzo duets.
Thanks.
Hi there,
let's also include bass-baritone and mezzo duets.
Rossini's L'Italiana in Algeri comes to mind, it is more for fun than strictly a 'love duet':

The Barber of Seville might count as some of the mezzo/bass-baritone versions have dark voices

Bartolo and Rosina in that opera share scenes but I don't think they have a full-fledged duet?

Don Giovanni has been sung basses and baritones while Zerlina has been sung by mezzos like Marilyn Horne and Bartoli

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Any style/period is ok.
Thanks.
only one I could think of was a trouser role (Arsace and Assur in Semiramide)

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bass and Contralto: Marta and Mefistofele in Boito's "Mefistofele". More flirtatious than a romantic love duet.
Thanks!
only one I could think of was a trouser role (Arsace and Assur in Semiramide)
There are a lot of castrati/trouser roles in Baroque opera, but I would like a standert one. As far as I know, Handel's operas are quite rich in contraltos, (and almost every Handel's opera has at least one bass) so I think there should be some. I'm just starting my acquaintance with Handel, so I cannot name any, but I'm quite sure there must be some.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Thanks!

There are a lot of castrati/trouser roles in Baroque opera, but I would like a standert one. As far as I know, Handel's operas are quite rich in contraltos, (and almost every Handel's opera has at least one bass) so I think there should be some. I'm just starting my acquaintance with Handel, so I cannot name any, but I'm quite sure there must be some.
Semiramide is bel canto repertoire (Rossini), not Baroque.

· Registered
801 Posts
There are some bass/baritone and mezzo-soprano duets in Russian operas. They are not usually as bright as solos of their characters.
1. Tzar's bride: Gryaznoy and Liubasha.
2. Sorceress: Prince and Princess Eupraxia.
Both are quarrels.
3. Khovanschina: Martha and Dosiphey, mostly in recitative.
4. Maid of Orleans: there are even two duets of Joan and Lionel, which also could be called love duets.
In more well known operas there are relatively small duets of Eboli and Posa (flirtatious) and of Dalilah and High Priest (pompous). Frika's scene in Die Walküre can be considered a duet in some way, Erde's in Siegfried too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.