Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
In terms of complete boxes, I really like the Trio Wanderer on Harmonia Mundi.

A great individual album would be Faust / Queyras / Melnikov, another nice recent Harmonia Mundi release, if you don't mind Fortepiano.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
Also you need the classic version too:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Definitely Wanderer Trio and Trio di Parma! Trio Beaux Arts is also awsome. It all depends on the repertoire.
I have a beautiful recording of the last 4 Haydn Trios with Levin, Beths, Bylsma (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=3623).

Trio Wanderer made a wonderful recording of Ravel and Chausson Trio. For Brahms and Beethoven I prefer Trio di Parma.

I myself have a professional piano Trio (Trio Fontaine) and you can trust my word ;)
Check the names above and you'll be a happy person!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have been listening to the Haydn Trio Wien on Teldec LPs doing op. 70 and the Archduke. They are lovely performances. Don't know if they are on CDs. I also like the Storioni Trio on a Pentatone sacd doing opus 70 no. 1 and an earlier trio (forget which and I'm too lazy to get up to check).

Haven't heard the Wanderer do these, but I'll bet they're very good.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Archduke: Mullova, Previn, Schiff on Philips
Ghost and 1/3: Queyras, Staier, Sepec on HM (period performance)

For a complete set, I like Ashkenazy, Perlman, Harrell, available on two inexpensive twofers--but the Ghost and Archdule performances are outclassed by those above IMO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've really enjoyed the two trios (Op.70 No.2 and Op.97) recorded by Queyras, Faust and Melnikov.
This a great version of these trios, but the Wanderer Trio seems to me a step beyond and constitute the reference recording.
Worth mentioning Sepec - Steier - Queyraz, Trio Santoliquido, Gilels - Rostropovich - Kogan, the Florestan Trio

:tiphat:

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
Any good sets recorded from 2000-2015?

·
Registered
807 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.