Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking for the absolute best recording of Dv's 7th. I have heard the Dohnanyi/Clevealand one, which people seem to like quite a bit. I only really like the last movement of it, and am looking for a different perspective.
Thanks,
Kogami

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Best-schmest. Anyway, see if you can listen to the Kubelik/DG. Don't remember the orchestra (maybe the BRSO).

Reactions: haziz

·
6,735 Posts
Hi,
I am looking for the absolute best recording of Dv's 7th. I have heard the Dohnanyi/Clevealand one, which people seem to like quite a bit. I only really like the last movement of it, and am looking for a different perspective.
Thanks,
Kogami
The fact that your opinion on the Dohnanyi recording appears to differ from other people's should serve as a pointer to the fact that there is no absolute best. So now all you need to do is sit back and wait for a huge range of suggestions, some of them clearly contradictory. Then you make a list of all of them, shut your eyes, stick a pin in it, and hope for success. :cool:

·
Registered
305 Posts
As there almost seems to be no general consensus among which recording is best i guess I will go to favourite conductor Szell. General consensus on #8 seems to be Kertesz and for #9 Kubelik but correct me if I’m wrong. I’m going to listen to this symphony for the first time tonight so I’m excited

·
Registered
198 Posts
no.7 is difficult --there are no ideal recordings I've come across. Talich is probably the greatest, as Bigshot said, but then the sound is 1937! The problem is balancing the introspective and intense emotions of the first two movements (esp. the second) with the more extrovert and rustic final two. Kertesz, an outstanding conductor in the earlier symphonies, is too matter of fact in the slow movement, for instance, and most conductors rush this.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
A "serious" non-bohemian recording of the 7th is by Giulini (mid-1970s, usually on a EMI twofer with early 60s recordings of 8+9). If findable at twofer price, that's great bargain. Giulini re-recorded 8+9 for DG in Chicago but I find them too slow and "massive", he again recorded some Dvorak later and still slower (Sony) but I haven't heard them.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
Give a spin to any of the recordings by Kertesz, Rowicki, Pesek, Neumann, Suitner, Anguelov or Ivan Fischer. I suspec one of them will click with you.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
A work I love. It is the most Brahmsian of Dvorak's symphonies but needs to sound Slavonic as well. Given this there are a number of very enjoyable recordings that are not quite right. Kertesz is excellent. Harnoncourt is magical and Belohlavek is also very good.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Kubelik / BPO
just relistened to the problematic slow movement of this as in in general, I do admire Kubelik (esp. in Mahler) and there are some very nice things in his 8th. However here, despite the passion and some wonderful moments, it's in places mannered and erratic and the Berlin sounds simply the wrong orchestra for Dvorak. Neither Pesek nor Neumann are ideal and Belohlavek is simply an over-rated conductor, especially in Dvorak. My first recording of this was actually Monteux and I still think he gets closer to the elusive slow movement atmosphere than most others. Rowicki is worth mentioning -- he does nothing horrendously stupid here and is generally a fine and underrated Dvorak conductor.

It's back to Talich....

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks for all the recommendations, I hoped it would gain some traction after reviving a thread from 2013. 1937 is too old for me sound quality wise so I think I will actually go with Davis/Concertgebouw for this particular symphony.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I think the Czech conductors are popular in this music - for good reason - but Davis/Concertgebouw is maybe my favorite 7/8/9 set (and there are a ton of those).

Fricsay is my favorite standalone 9. I don't think I've heard a better slow movement than that record.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts