Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Gennady Rozhdestvensky‘s rather wonderful recording of Sibelius’ 7th Symphony with the GSO is completely destroyed by a trombonist who appears to be completely smashed on low grade vodka…

Noz-drove-ya-here, Comrade?
I must relisten to that. However, I must confess to missing the warbling Russian brass sound of the 60s. I hated it at the time but now I hate the homogenisation of national sounds into a single international flavour.

BTW, I am firmly convinced that the trombone tune in Sibelius 7 is in some way a depiction of a drunk (albeit a musical drunk) singing. Barbirolli's Halle recording convinced me of that.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I've come across a number down through the years. My earliest LP of Beethoven's "Emperor" concerto had a noticeable flub by the French horns in the first movement, though the performance (allegedly by one Eric Silver and the Berlin Symphony Orch.conducted by someone named Alfred van Weth) had tremendous energy and the moment made little or no difference to my enjoyment. The recording was probably pirated from a live radio broadcast, which would explain what happened.
Soundfountain.com identifies the pianist as Wilhelm Backhaus and an unidentified orchestra from a pre-1952 radio broadcast.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Not a blatant mistake; but sub-professional playing by the trombonist in Seiji Ozawa's DG Boston Symphony recording of Bolero. The trombonist was "past his prime" and already problematic when Ozawa joined the Orchestra. First Ozawa supported the musician; but later tried-- unsuccessfully-- to have him removed. The result is a wayword trombone solo in an otherwise impeccably played BSO recording.

Trombone @8:14.

Note: I'm only repeating what I read. I'm not qualified to render a professional judgment.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Not a blatant mistake; but sub-professional playing by the trombonist in Seiji Ozawa's DG Boston Symphony recording of Bolero. The trombonist was "past his prime" and already problematic when Ozawa joined the Orchestra.
I don't know the recording date for this...but Ozawa took over BSO in early-mid-70s....the principal trombone at the time was William "Hoot" Gibson....not a strong player...it sounds like him on the recording...Gibson left BSO position in 1975....

41 - 44 of 44 Posts