Classical Music Forum banner

Which performance(s) do you prefer (up to 2 choices)

• A

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • B

• C

• D

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
It is definitely going to take me longer than the weekend. - perhaps by Monday I have now heard all four but too close together and with insufficient concentration to have a clear sense of them. I listened to two yesterday and two today and found myself preferring the first of the day both times - A (I liked its pacing) and D (I enjoyed it's Romantic feel)). But B and C were also good, I thought, so it doesn't help that so far I like them all in their different ways!

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
For what it's worth, I seem to be consistently preferring A and then D at the moment. I find B and C a little dull and my mind wanders. My preferences, however, seem marginal to me and it is quite possible I would hear them differently on another day. But, of these, I think it is A I would keep as having something to add to the recordings I have.

With A I am not sure what it is but it there are many passages that are almost sublime and its pastoralism is almost ecstatic. It holds my attention. D reminds me of Vaughan Williams recordings by Munch that I have heard. I'm not saying that's who it is but it seems to go out of its way not to sound too English.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Wow. It's good to know that Pappano's LSO Live VW recording is not the only VW recording of his that I love! I wouldn't have guessed that the orchestra were students. And don't I look stupid saying that the recording that turned out to be by Boult was trying to make the work sound un-English!

That challenge was harder work than usual but I found it very worthwhile spending some extended time with the work. Thanks, Becca!

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
FWIW, the Rattle/LSO is my favourite ... if only the sound wasn't so poor, which is kinda weird for BBC/Proms broadcasts, and that background noise must be the hall air conditioning. Anyway it's interesting to watch the concert as it's a bit eerie with the empty hall, but it does add an appropriate ambience to the occasion. It is also interesting that I have never seen Rattle as being an RVW conductor!
Ah but ... I assume your hearing of it was not blind? Perhaps you would have preferred one of the others if you had been able to blind test them?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts