Classical Music Forum banner

Which performance(s) do you prefer (up to 2 choices)

• A

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • B

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • C

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • D

Votes: 1 14.3%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
As it's around a decade since I last listened to this symphony, I thought I'd have a bash.
I know that there was the warning "The audio quality may vary especially if one is a live performance but I encourage you to filter that out and concentrate on the actual performance" but in C I simply couldn't hear enough of the music for the artefacts the minute anything started to get busy so have to eliminate that one. D is too fast in the first and third so goodbye to that - the atmosphere of repose just isn't there.
Between A and B, not so clearcut. A phrases naturally, good tempi for the most part and really not much to quibble about. B is a bit less consistent but gives an extra emotional push at times in the string phrasing which is welcome. Winner A from first run through but it's not impossible I might change my mind if I get time to explore more.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I totally missed this thread until now!

(Even though, in my opinion, when compared to A Pastoral Symphony, the 5th is more of a pastoral symphony than a war symphony, relatively speaking.)
This has always been my view, too. no. 3 is too disturbing to be a true Pastoral symphony and I find it more emotionally searching somehow than 5, despite plenty of beautiful moments in the latter.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yet again, a conductor I've never heard of produces results more to my liking than bigger names. Unlike his namesake Kyrill, Vasily Petrenko is at least a musician :)
The Boult was a bit of a surprise as, although he's a little brisker than I like in my old LP, it's nothing compared to your live performance.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sir Antonio Pappano, music director of Covent Garden for the last 20 years. He takes over from Rattle at the London Symphony in a year or two. Despite the name he is English.
that would figure. I haven't been to Covent Garden for about 30 years and my interest in non-Slavonic opera is fairly minimal. London is just a big provincial town these days (as Rattle would no doubt tell you......):D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts