Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
12,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In less than two weeks I will purchase this from a wonderful little local shop

What's the general consensus? As far as Boulez goes, everything he's ever written seems to be in a constant revisionary process and not much is "complete," but everything on here appears to be included with his own supervision. Does anyone here have it and can tell me a bit of info about which versions of which pieces are available in this box?

· Registered
9,759 Posts
That box set is the bomb. I plan to get it off iTunes.

G

·

What's the general consensus? As far as Boulez goes, everything he's ever written seems to be in a constant revisionary process and not much is "complete," but everything on here appears to be included with his own supervision. Does anyone here have it and can tell me a bit of info about which versions of which pieces are available in this box?
Hi CoAG. I have this set, but I don't have the time to type out the contents for you! A better solution for you: here's a link to Deutsche Grammophon where you can read the details and versions from the (quite thick) booklet :
http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/fr/cat/4806828

· Registered
4,977 Posts
I like Boulez's music. I have collected a number of his albums. His constant revising is tedious, however. I recall a line from Sitting Targets by Peter Hammill:

"Sign the picture, and throw it away."

Couldn't he just accept imperfection and write a new piece, instead of having to rework his old ones? Once or twice is okay, but over a lifetime?

[But, I think I can understand his position. I likely hold the record for the most revisions :D ]

12,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like an awesome set, but I do think releasing a "complete works" set while a composer is still alive and (apparently) still composing is a little odd.
I've been wondering if it should have just been called something like "Boulez: His Own Works" or "Original Compositions" instead. I can't really imagine him composing any substantial new composition any time soon though, despite the rumours. I do hope he at least finished orchestrations of his Notations. I would definitely buy a completed version of that in addition to this box set.

· Registered
8,950 Posts
I've been wondering if it should have just been called something like "Boulez: His Own Works" or "Original Compositions" instead. I can't really imagine him composing any substantial new composition any time soon though, despite the rumours. I do hope he at least finished orchestrations of his Notations. I would definitely buy a completed version of that in addition to this box set.
Exactly. Or "Boulez: Edition" like the recent Debussy set on DG.

· Registered
12,431 Posts
Looks like an awesome set, but I do think releasing a "complete works" set while a composer is still alive and (apparently) still composing is a little odd.
It also doesn't include the works he has disowned, such as Poesie pour pouvoir or Polyphony X. I suppose it's complete as much as the Sony Webern set was "complete".

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Whether it's not really complete, I will get it because it's easy to find a ton of Boulez pieces all in one shot :).

· Registered
9,759 Posts
G

·
I bought this about a year ago...practically right after Schoenberg clicked for me. I now adore it like few others. To my knowledge, it only lacks the works Mahlerian mentioned and then some alternate versions (I want to here the explosante-fixe for vibraphone and electronics!). But you still get things like Incises (predecessor to Sur Incises) or Anthemes (predecessor to Anthemes II).

I really can't recommend this set enough. Nearly every work is a gem unique from the others. Honestly I don't know that I love it any less than the Complete Webern set.

· Registered
10,698 Posts

For some of the music which interests me the most, I didn't find it very satisfying - the 3rd piano sonata, Pli selon pli, Marteau sans maître. You can do better for these pieces.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.