Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
Re Brahms PC1, do audition the Douglas/LSO/Skrowaczewski (RCA, rec.1988), if you haven't. A blistering, take-no-prisoners account, which ideally suits this work, IMO. :tiphat:

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
Re Brahms PC1, do audition the Douglas/LSO/Skrowaczewski (RCA, rec.1988), if you haven't. A blistering, take-no-prisoners account, which ideally suits this work, IMO. :tiphat:
One of the finest accounts I heard was from the Leeds Piano Competition when a young American, Lydia Artimaw, gave a blustering performance. She should have won on the basis of that but the judges, with usual conservatism, gave it to Michel Dalberto. But the young tigress playing Brahms lives in the memory.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
It is great music. Is it better than the PCs of Schumann, Grieg, Rachmaninov, Bartok, or Prokofiev, or Tchaikovsky? In the wrong hands, Brahms 1 can sound pretty turgid, and the tendency over the past 20 years or so is to slow it down, which I don't like.
The recordings of Leon Fleisher and Rudolf Serkin nailed it, about 50 years ago. Stick with those.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Just listening to CD review and Brahms 1st Piano Concerto. This is my favourite post Beethoven 19th century piano concerto (Brahms 2nd is too middle aged). I've heard that even Britten (a notorious dis-liker of Brahms) liked it.
Greatest since Beethoven? Impossible to say...

Not sure I follow this 'young man's music' thing. Brahms' 2nd concerto is more refined, with an obviously symphonic structural foundation and is probably more Romantic leaning than classical. That scherzo has a lot of the same 'bite' as there may be found in the first.

It''s like comparing Rachmaninov's third with his second -- both truly great, but the third is more ambitious, more expertly crafted.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
It is great music. Is it better than the PCs of Schumann, Grieg, Rachmaninov, Bartok, or Prokofiev, or Tchaikovsky? In the wrong hands, Brahms 1 can sound pretty turgid, and the tendency over the past 20 years or so is to slow it down, which I don't like.
This is about the 2nd Brahms concerto but somehow I thought people here might be amused

article (with much more funny stuff): Whose Brahms? by Jeremy Denk

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
There´s at least one exception to the slowing down in the 2nd concerto:
Manz/Mandeal (1996), 43,5 mins,
less than their (similarly quite fast) recording of the 1st concerto.

EDIT: Well, I almost said that already, earlier in the thread ;-).

·
Registered
18,973 Posts
Apart from agreeing with recordings (even though I prefer Arrau/Giulini), congratulations for your new avatar. Isn't she beautiful?
Yes. Arrau/Giulini is the cerebral choice. Really meant for discriminating listeners.

Arrau/Giulini had the courage to present an interpretation far out of the mainstream, knowing it wouldn't be a commercial success and for this they have my deepmost respect.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, Brahms 1st piano concerto for me definitely is the greatest post Beethoven 19th cent piano concerto. His 2nd of course is great, too, but I never could get really appreciate it's final movement

21 - 40 of 49 Posts