Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gaping hole in my collection - I have no recordings of Brahm's two orchestral Serenades, please don't ask me why I have no explanation, and I can't even recall hearing them.

I am going to ask the combined wealth of knowledge gathered together on the forum for guidance as to those recordings I should consider to fill this hole.

I also appreciate that there maybe other threads already on the site that are relevant to my question but my logic in starting a new thread is that hopefully the responses will take into account newer recordings that weren't about when other threads were on the go.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all who answered my call for pointers as to where to look for a recording to fill the hole in my collection - all comments were of great interest and have guided my listening during the past week.

Here are my conclusions:

The Serenades are early Brahms and after repeated sampling and listening my opinion is they aren't great Brahms, that being said there is enough to suggest one recording or even two wouldn't be out of place on the shelves. I found a lot of the recordings a bit sacchrine, admittedly a lot of that must be laid at the composers door, at times almost reminding me of the Viennese Strauss family (not an area of the repertoire I have any interest in).
I ended up enjoying the Kertesz recording for a 'mainstream' recording so I have added the Eloquence set with the complete symphonies to my wish list.
I did press the button on one recording which I fear may not be a choice many will endorse - Chailly with the Gewandhausorchester, frankly I find his propensity to keep things moving along at a fair clip in his more recent Brahms recordings benefited the Serenades, at least to my taste.

Thanks again.

Edit: to those who mention the Boult, Bach to Wagner box - I agree it is a very fine box which has been taken down from the shelf to be dipped into in the very near future.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
P.S. I think that the Chailly was the last one I heard but what's with that? Was he late for a poker game, or had someone forgotten to tell them that the movements needn't fit on a 78rpm side? :rolleyes:
Fair point Becca, Chailly does love pressing on in his later Brahms recordings doesn't he. My preference for his recording probably says more about me not being the greatest fan of the 'serenade' as a style.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts