Classical Music Forum banner

Brahms Tragic Overture

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Roger Knox 
#1 ·
What do you think of this piece? I thinks it’s his best overture. I listen to jochum/LSO but if anyone has a cracker performance that is recommended than I would love to check that out

#3 ·
His best overture? Well, there are only two. Personally this is one of his orchestral works that I've never taken to. Too austere and serious. The Academic Festival is so much more exciting. I don't even like playing the Tragic. Doesn't matter who's playing or conducting...just not a favorite.

Reactions: Tarneem
#7 ·
I love the piece but can't even imagine having a single favourite. Of the top of my head I can remember really liking Harnoncourt's account (it comes with the symphonies some of which I feel Harnoncourt doesn't get quite right), Abbado's, Sanderling's and others. I think I remember the Jochum as a good one, too.

#11 ·
What do you think of this piece? I thinks it’s his best overture.
I love Tragic Overture, Academic Festival, too...for TrGic, 2 favorites:
Toscanini/NBC - lots of drive intensity
Reiner,/CSO - again lots of drive and beautiful contrasts between martial, dotted rhythm figures, and long lyrical chorale passages...some beautiful legato cantabile playing from CSO brass...

#12 ·
I love it but that`s not telling too much because I love almost all Brahms. My traditional champion is Barbirolli but I think I might take Chailly as my top pick today. I have mixed feelings about his take on the symphonies but when it comes to overtures he gets it just right imo. I like my overtures fast and Chailly is fast but not really an overkill like Reiner or Maazel (Berlin).

#15 ·
I believe it is an expression of the anguish that the composer experienced but kept under control in his music usually. At least that's what came across in a video of Bernstein conducting it, the Tragic Overture, no doubt maximizing the emotional effect. Another example of Brahms at his most anguished is, I think, in the last part of the finale in the great Piano Quintet -- really wild at times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.