Classical Music Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I'm not sure if there are many. First thing that comes to the mind is Zeffirelli's La Traviata with Stratas and Domingo. The were other Traviatas shoot for TV too, with Moffo, for example.
There are also several staging of Ponelle, shoot as films, I might mention Cosi and Rigoletto.
Of course, there is magnificent Katerina Izmailova with Vishnevskaya, not sure if there are english subtitles.
[/QUOTE

OK. Thanks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Confession Time:

My problem when buying opera is that I'm never quite sure of what I like and what I don't like (even though I own a large number of operas already). Look, I have ''classics'' like Adriana Lecouvreur, Aida, La Boheme, Carmen, Les Pecheures De Perles, Faust, Romeo Et Juliette, Rigoletto, La Traviata, Otello, Falstaff. Other operas I have include Il Trovatore, Madama Butterfly, Tosca, Turandot, Il Barbiere Di Siviglia, La Cenerentola, L'Elisir D'Amore, Le Nozze Di Figaro, Cosi, Don Giovanni, Yevgeny Onyegin, Boris Godunov, Prince Igor, Rusalka, Cav & Pag, Die Zauberflote, The Abduction From The Seraglio, Manon, Werther, Thais...the list goes on! What are good and popular ''melody-filled operas'' to explore in addition to these? I gravitate towards 19th and early 20th century Italian and French opera. I'm just concerned that the ones you chose above are too ambitious for me at the moment and need to go back to basics. FYI, I prefer productions that are easy to follow and in the spirit of the composer and librettist. Maybe recommend some recital discs too.

Looking forward to reading your recommendations.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Go to my other thread using the link below. Replies welcome there.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Coming back to this thread now for a bit, to see if I get any responses here:

Here is a (near-complete) list of the operas I own, on DVD and Blu ray.

Mozart

Le Nozze Di Figaro
Cosi Fan Tutte
Don Giovanni
Die Entführung aus dem Serail
Die Zauberflote

Beethoven: Fidelio

Bel Canto

Il Barbiere Di Siviglia
La Cenerentola
La Donna Del Lago
Mose In Egitto
Lucia Di Lammermoor
L'Elisir D'amore

Verdi

Tutto Verdi boxed set (as well as separate productions of individual operas - Un Ballo In Maschera and Don Carlo)

Puccini

Tutto Puccini boxed set (as well as separate productions of individual operas)

Verismo

Cavalleria Rusticana
Pagliacci
Adriana Lecouvreur
Andrea Chenier
La Gioconda

French opera

Carmen
Les Pecheurs De Perles
Faust
Romeo Et Juliette
Manon
Werther
Samson Et Dalila
Les Troyens
Pelleas Et Melisande

Russian & other Slavic opera

Ruslan and Lyudmilla
Yevgeny Onyegin
Prince Igor
Boris Godunov
Sadko
The Cunning Little Vixen

English & American opera

Peter Grimes
Porgy and Bess

Operetta

Die Fledernaus
Eine Nacht In Venedig
Der Zigeunerbaron
Die Lustige Witwe
Das Land Des Lachelns
Die Csardasfurstin

This is all I can think of at the moment. Let's see what you can recommend as a top 10 ''basic to intermediate level'' operas kit. Some people made suggestions on my other thread, but I found most of them too advanced for now. If you can, please include product images and/or cast lists, as it helps me know what to search for.

·
Registered
416 Posts
OK. I'm going to make a suggestion. You may not like it(!), but it might be worth a try. You said in your first post that you don't like Wagner.... But have you heard his Operas Die Feen and Rienzi? These are not remotely like his later works and may work for you. I'd suggest that they might be worth a listen, first on Youtube, then on DVD / CD if you like what you've heard.

Some others in the Bel Canto Rep by Rossini, Il Turco in Italia and L'Italina in Algeri - both have some wonderful music if you like the Bel Canto style. I'm listening to Il Turco in Italia while I'm typing this. I'd also recommend Bellini's Sonnambula to this list.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
OK. I'm going to make a suggestion. You may not like it(!), but it might be worth a try. You said in your first post that you don't like Wagner.... But have you heard his Operas Die Feen and Rienzi? These are not remotely like his later works and may work for you. I'd suggest that they might be worth a listen, first on Youtube, then on DVD / CD if you like what you've heard.

Some others in the Bel Canto Rep by Rossini, Il Turco in Italia and L'Italina in Algeri - both have some wonderful music if you like the Bel Canto style. I'm listening to Il Turco in Italia while I'm typing this. I'd also recommend Bellini's Sonnambula to this list.
Thanks. I do like your suggestion and appreciate the time you took to explain it.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts