Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
884 Posts
I have three Bruckner cycles:

Jochum: Deutsche Grammophon
Jochum: EMI
Wand: RCA (Cologne Radio Symphony)

I want the Karajan, but it's a little high right now, but maybe it's come down in time.

· Banned
884 Posts
I was tempted to get the "Karajan Symphony Edition" set from DG (virtually all late Haydn/Mozart symphonies, all Beethoven Symphonies & 6 overtures [cannily, they're the late 70s recordings and not the more widely disseminated early 60s cycle], and cycles from Schumann, Mendelssohn, Brahms (+ St. Anthony variations), Bruckner & Tchaikovsky. 38 discs... new for c. $90.00 @ the "South American River..."). In my collection, it would have only duplicated the Brahms (so I'd move the older "two-fer" to my wife's CD stack;)...) Maybe later...
That's looks like an attractive set, though the problem I have with that set is it has not been remastered and I did some research on the Bruckner as well. It has not been remastered, so I believe I'll pass on it unless I can get it for a killer deal, then I'll maybe plunk down some money for it, but until then I don't think so.

By the way, $90 is too much for that set. You can get from a seller right now on Amazon for $66. Why pay more for something when you can get it cheaper somewhere else?

Anyway, if you have an Amazon account, then that's where you're going to find the best deals, especially on CDs.

Reactions: TurnaboutVox

· Banned
884 Posts
Can anyone recommend a supreme recording of this work or symphony cycle outside of Eugene Jochum/Dresden.
I would seriously check out Gunter Wand's recordings of Bruckner, especially the cycles on RCA with the BPO and his later cycle with the Cologne Radio Symphony. It's simply not to be missed. Wand was a dedicated Bruckner conductor, especially the last 20 something years. His Bruckner should be in every fan's collection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.