Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I resently learned that Bruckner wrote the 7th for Wagner after his death. It was extremely well received and established his reputation. At first I didn't care for Bruckner because I preferred quick and fiery music as apposed to methodical and slow. Eventually I realized that Bruckner was also very exciting. The develoment of opening theme in the first movement is very convincing as the brass brings its repetition great drama. The hovering string melody in the second movement and 'dooms dayish' theme of the third movement are also fantastic. Can anyone recommend a supreme recording of this work or symphony cycle outside of Eugene Jochum/Dresden.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must agree completely, the conducter has become some kind of spectical revolving around themselves and need more often to stick with the purer beauty of what the composer meant, smaller orchestras generally stick to the music better then ones being lead by someone with an agenda i. e. (the famous conductor) Barenboim doesn't have this problem. "Poor Schoenberg lead classical music out into the desert where it still roams to this day!"

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't say he was "bad" unless all interpretation "as I fermly believe" has no place in music, but this doesn't mean he was "bad", just "pompous" and many people suffer from that affliction. Stravinsky said the conductor should play the music exactly as the composer wrote it.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mahler? Did you mean Bruckner? What I herd was that Karajan was dragged into Mahler because of the composers rise in popularity. But none-the-less Karajan's Mahler 5th and 6th have maid it to the 20th century remastered DG addition. I guess I herd wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.