Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I could venture a guess, even though I'm unfamiliar with the parameters of the algorithm .

It may suggest threads that are very active/popular, and it has nothing to do with you.

It may track which other members you respond to (react/quote), and steer you to threads in which they have posted that you haven't visited.

·
Administrator
176 Posts
I could venture a guess, even though I'm unfamiliar with the parameters of the algorithm .

It may suggest threads that are very active/popular, and it has nothing to do with you.

It may track which other members you respond to (react/quote), and steer you to threads in which they have posted that you haven't visited.
That is correct but it only impacts the home page. It uses several factors such as activity level, and people you interact with or follow.

If you prefer to view the full forum listing, go here:

- Cricket

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
That is correct but it only impacts the home page. It uses several factors such as activity level, and people you interact with or follow.

If you prefer to view the full forum listing, go here:

- Cricket
Thank you.

I'd knew you'd be along with specific and correct info sooner or later, probably sooner. :)

·
Administrator
11,942 Posts
Some members have complained that they don't wish to see any recommendations at all. Do those here like the idea of recommendations but only if the recommendations are deemed useful? I'm guessing that independent of the algorithm some people would never believe them to be useful.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'm totally fine with using the site without any recommendation algo. The site is small enough, and threads appear infrequently enough, that even though I only check the site twice a week or so, I still feel like I'm easily kept up to date with the most recent activity and can easily find what I'm interested in.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Some members have complained that they don't wish to see any recommendations at all. Do those here like the idea of recommendations but only if the recommendations are deemed useful? I'm guessing that independent of the algorithm some people would never believe them to be useful.
Gawd, I'm fine with it. They're just "recommendations". One can look at 'em, and think, "Yeah, that sounds good, " or "that one sounds good." Click, let's go . . .

One can ignore them.

One can look at 'em and giggle quietly and think, "Yeah, right."

I've been in all three of these scenarios.

·
Registered
37,555 Posts
I don't pay them any attention, so I don't care if they remain or not.

·
Super Moderator
30,658 Posts
Personally I don't see the point of them, and the space they're taking on a page could have been given to displaying one or two more posts.

I just looked at them for the first time in days, and of the five recommended readings, two display myself as making the latest post. That seems rather superfluous no matter what interest people might have in them.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
My recommendations are also a slew of crap. I think this feature could be improved in two ways:

1. Recommend to me threads I have participated in that have gotten significant activity since my last post. I often lose track of what it is I'm doing here. :p

2. Allow users to set search tags that would flag relevant threads and send to the recommendations. For instance, I would set a flag for Wagner, and all Wagner-related threads would be sent to my recommendations feed. That would be quite lovely, and save me from a lot of scrolling through threads about Brahms and other such nonsense.

Reactions: mmsbls
1 - 12 of 12 Posts