Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you've received an abusive PM and it's been dealt with appropriately, but you want to stop this person from contacting you directly again. You don't want to put them on 'ignore' because then you couldn't see anything they posted about you publicly, and you still want to be able to receive PMs from everybody else. Can this be done?

· Senior Moderator
12,443 Posts
Depends what you mean by everybody else.

In your settings, under general settings, there are a range of options about messaging.

You can turn off completely either or both private or visitor messaging - not quite what you want.

Alternately you can limit either or both of private or visitor messaging to your contacts (and administrators). You don't need to send a friend request if you add somebody to your contacts (of course you can if you want). So this allows you fairly precise control of who can and can't send you messages either visitor or private. Anybody not on your list either can't see visitor messages or if they try to PM you they are told that you have disabled PM's.

It's not ideal, but if there was somebody you wanted to get PM's from, you can always add them to your contacts list.

Hope this helps.

· Premium Member
14,429 Posts
It does seem to be a problem. I've never put anyone on 'ignore' but I seem to remember reading posts by those who have an 'ignore' list that suggests that they are notified when the ignored person posts & then can choose to read what they've said if they want.
My question would be - if you put a person who's been rude to you on the 'ignore' list, with the option of finding out what they've been up to, would that mean that the ignored person was not able to pm you?

If so, would that be another way of blocking them?

Techies, I leave it to you!

· Senior Moderator
12,443 Posts
From the FAQ's

Ignore lists are used for those people whose messages you wish not to read. By adding someone to your ignore list, those messages posted by these individuals will be hidden when you read a thread.
You will see that a post has been hidden and you can view their posts. The posts do not vanish - the text is hidden - and if somebody quotes them, then the text will be up there.

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to cover visitor messages.

· Administrator
10,453 Posts
Visitor Messaging can only be blocked globally ... it is not 'ignored member' specific. If one turns off Visitor Messaging, then all visitor messages will be blocked.

As to the other, seeing that the 'ignored' posted but not actually seeing the post, there is nothing we can do about that. That's how the forum software was engineered and developed ... there are no settings to make it go away, as it does on FB.

And, for the record, this is Talk Classical ... it is not Facebook ... we don't do the same things that FB does and neither do they do the same things the way we do.

· Registered
29,890 Posts
If anyone receives a harassing PM, forward it to a mod. There should be no place on TC for deliberate harassment and justice should be swift.

To avoid this uncomfortable situation from ever developing, go to general settings and click on receive PM's "only from contacts and moderators". That way, you will receive PM's only from those members on your friends list.

Do the same for "Visitor Messaging".

I've done these things and my friends are the only members who can contact me.

· Registered
29,890 Posts
Say you've received an abusive PM and it's been dealt with appropriately, but you want to stop this person from contacting you directly again. You don't want to put them on 'ignore' because then you couldn't see anything they posted about you publicly, and you still want to be able to receive PMs from everybody else. Can this be done?
PM sent. Non-abusive.

· Registered
2,441 Posts
If anyone receives a harassing PM, forward it to a mod. There should be no place on TC for deliberate harassment and justice should be swift.
They couldn't care less, which is why I stopped posting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.